Navigation path

Updated : 15/02/2016

Car registration documents and formalities – Italy

Choose country

Choose country

Common rights across EU countries

* Information not yet provided by national authorities

Roadworthiness tests

If you buy a new car in Italy, you must have it checked again for roadworthiness in the 4th year from the date of its initial roadworthiness check and registration.

If you have a used car of 4 years or older in Italy, you must have it periodically tested for roadworthiness 2 years after the date of the last roadworthiness check.

A roadworthiness test does not have to be conducted each time a vehicle changes owner.

If you register your car as a new resident in Italy, moving from another EU country, you must take the roadworthiness test - with the exception of vehicles of the international categories M1 and L, regularly tested in another EU country.

Contact body for roadworthiness tests: Ufficio Motorizzazione civile.

To ensure your vehicle and its equipment function correctly and comply with safety standards, it must undergo the regular roadworthiness tests, which generally comprise checking the following car parts:

  • braking system,
  • visibility,
  • lighting and electronics,
  • axles, wheels, tyres and suspension,
  • chassis and components attached to it,
  • coachwork,
  • other components (safety belts, warning triangle, etc.),
  • noise and exhaust gas emissions,
  • number plate and chassis number.
Procedure for- initial registration

You can register your vehicle via a service called "STA - Sportelli Telematici dell'Automobilista" - find out more italiano. in the town where you are resident.

How you register a car imported from another EU country and the documents you need for it depend on whether you are subject to VAT or not. As a private individual importing a vehicle for private purposes, you are not usually required to pay VAT.

In this case, to register an imported vehicle (new or used), you must submit the following documents:

  • name, tax code or VAT identification number of the foreign trader you bought your vehicle from,
  • invoice number and date,
  • the chassis number, make and vehicle type,
  • number plate, if already registered in another EU country,
  • whether the vehicle has already travelled more than 6 000 km,
  • a self-declaration affidavit.

Approfondimenti sulla tipologia di veicoli e le relative procedure

Procedure for renewal in case of theft, loss or damage to number plates

You will only need to renew your car registration in the case of the theft, loss or damage of your number plate.

You can do so via a service called "STA - Sportelli Telematici dell'Automobilista" - find out more italiano - in the town where you are resident.

You will need:

  • to fill in form DTT2119, available at the STA service,
  • to fill in form NP2 ,
  • your vehicle registration certificate (carta di circolazione),
  • proof of ownership (certificato di proprietà),
  • a copy of the report made to the police on the theft, loss or damage of the licence plate; this can be replaced by a self-declaration where you provide details on when and where you reported it to the police,
  • a copy of your ID card, residence card.
Need more information on rules in a specific country?
Ask national administrations
Need support from assistance services?
Get help and advice