Navigation path

Share on 
	Share on Facebook
	Tweet it
	Share on google+
	Share on linkedIn

FAQs - Student

Rights, conditions and formalities

  • If I spend a year in another EU country as an Erasmus exchange student and do not work or have any income, how can I prove I have sufficient resources for the length of my stay?

    Your parents/legal guardian can provide you with sufficient resources, for example by paying money into your bank account every month.

  • If I take a language course in another EU country, do I have to register at the town hall?

    It depends how long you stay – if you stay for less than 3 months you don't have to register, but may be asked to report your presence to the authorities.

    If you stay for longer, you may be required to register with the relevant authorities.

  • What happens if I forget to report my presence in a country where this is required? Can I be expelled?

    NO - You can't be expelled, but you may have to pay a (proportionate) fine, depending on that country's laws.

EU family members

  • I'm Belgian and am moving to Sweden with my same-sex husband. How will the authorities treat him?

    The Swedish authorities will treat him the same as any other spouse, as Sweden recognises same-sex marriages.

    However, not all EU countries treat same-sex spouses/ registered partners in the same way. In these countries, same-sex spouses'/partner's right to stay is not automatic and will be assessed by the national authorities on a case-by-case basis.

  • I'm Hungarian, and moved to Austria 6 years ago to be with my Hungarian husband, who was studying there. Two months ago, he died. The Austrian authorities have told me that to qualify for permanent residence, I must prove I have sufficient resources to support myself (which I don't - we lived from my husband's savings). Are they right?

    NO - You can continue to live in Austria because you've been legally resident there for 5 years. Your right of permanent residence is no longer subject to the condition of sufficient resources.

  • I'm an Estonian doing my PhD in the UK. My Estonian parents are dependent on me and would like to join me in London for the duration of my studies. As family members of an EU national, are they automatically entitled to a residence certificate?

    NO – Your nationality may be a factor that supports their application for residence but it does not confer any automatic rights. If the British authorities reject your parents' application, they must send them their decision in writing, stating all their reasons for refusing and the implications for your parents.

Non-EU family members

  • I am Japanese, living in Sweden in a registered partnership with a Swedish man, together with my son (23) from a previous marriage. My partner decided to study for a Master's degree in Iceland and I'd like to go with him, along with my son. My son is a Japanese national and a student, dependent on us. Will he get a residence card in Iceland?

    YES – (As the child of the partner of an EU national) because as a student he's dependent on you, even though he's over 21.

  • I'm a Romanian student, studying in Norway for a year. My parents (Moldovan nationals) would like to come and live with me for the duration of my studies. Do they have an automatic right of residence in Norway, as parents of an EU national?

    NO – But you can ask the Norwegian authorities to consider their application. If the Norwegian authorities refuse residence, they must justify their refusal, which they can only do after extensive research into your personal circumstances.

  • I'm going to Holland for a 1-month language course. My same-sex wife, a non-EU national, who I married in Belgium, is coming with me. Does she have to go through any formalities?

    NO – In the Netherlands, she'll be treated the same as any other spouse.

    For a stay of less than 3 months, all she needs is a valid passport (though she might also need a visa, depending which country she's from).

    She might also have to report her presence in the country and should carry her passport at all times.

Still need help?

Still need help?

Haven't found the information you need? Do you have a problem to solve?

Get advice on your EU rights

Solve problems with a public body