Navigation path

Share on 
	Share on Facebook
	Tweet it
	Share on google+
	Share on linkedIn

Elections abroad – Italy

Updated : 05/05/2014

Municipal elections


Municipal elections

To vote in municipal elections, foreign EU citizens must register on the electoral roll where they are living.

To be able to vote, you must:

  • be old enough to vote
  • be resident in an Italian municipality
  • be eligible to vote either in Italy or in their country of origin

Voting in municipal elections is not compulsory.

If you want to stand for election in municipal elections, you will need to present the following documents, in addition to the documents required of Italian citizens:

  • a declaration stating your nationality, current residence and address in your country of origin
  • a certificate issued within the last 3 months by the relevant authority in your EU country of origin proving that you have not been deprived of the right to stand.

You must present these documents when the list of candidates is lodged.

Foreign EU citizens cannot become mayors.

Still need help?

Still need help?

Haven't found the information you need? Do you have a problem to solve?

Get advice on your EU rights

Solve problems with a public body