Navigation path

Updated : 31/05/2016

Registering your residence abroad – Romania

Choose country

Choose country

Common rights across EU countries

* Information not yet provided by national authorities

To stay in Romania for more than 3 months, EU citizens must register their residence and obtain a registration certificate with the territorial units of the General Inspectorate for Immigration

Inactive citizens (pensioners, self-sufficient persons) must prove they have sufficient resources to support themselves; as proof, they can present the following documents:

  • pension slip issued at earliest 3 months before the date of entry on the territory of Romania (other similar document)
  • statement concerning the global income tax for the year prior to the date of entry on the territory of Romania (other similar document)
  • bank account statement or other equivalent documents certifying that the applicant earns the necessary revenues to ensure subsistence
  • if you come to Romania to study, you can submit a certified declaration stating that you are able to support yourself.

You don't need to carry your registration certificate at all times.

If you don't register your residence, you could incur a fine of 25 to 50 lei.

See also:

  • Registering residence in Romania română
Need more information on rules in a specific country?
Ask national administrations
Need support from assistance services?
Get help and advice

Get help and advice

and citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland

Retour au texte en cours.