Navigation path

Updated : 20/03/2014

Registering your non-EU family members in another EU country – Luxembourg

Choose country

Choose country

Common rights across EU countries

* Information not yet provided by national authorities

Residence card for non-EU family members

For a stay of more than 3 months, family members of an EU citizen, but who are not themselves EU citizens, must:

  • be in possession of a valid passport and a visa if necessary;
  • make a declaration of arrival in their new commune of residence;
  • apply for a residence permit for a family member of an EU citizen.

The documents required for a residence permit are as follows:

  • a complete copy of the travel document (passport);
  • a certificate proving the bond of marriage, a registered partnership, family ties or the lasting relationship;
  • a copy of the registration certificate of the EU citizen they are joining, or a residence certificate if they are joining a Luxembourg citizen;
  • a photograph compliant with OACI/ICAO standards (recent photograph, in colour, good quality, full face, format 45 / 35 mm);
  • for dependent direct relatives in the ascending or descending line: any document proving that the head of the family is responsible for the applicant (for example: tax return, invoices relating to the child's schooling if he/she is over 21 years of age, invoices relating to keeping the person in the family home, etc.).

For more information, check with the authorities responsible for issuing residence cards: Immigration authorities of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs (Direction de l’i mmigration du Ministère des Affaires étrangères et européennes).


Help and advice

Help and advice

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Get advice on your EU rights / Solve problems with a public body