Service tools

Language selector

EU flag

Navigation path


Updated : 25/04/2017

FAQs - Planned mecical treatment abroad

  • I would like to go to another EU country for a planned medical procedure. What do I have to do?

    First, check that your national health system or insurance covers the planned treatment. Then, you can decide how you want the costs of treatment to be covered.

    Option 1
    You will be reimbursed according to the conditions and reimbursement rates in the country where the treatment takes place. If you choose this option, you can access publicly provided healthcare, and you'll need to apply to your national health insurance body for prior authorisation ( form S2) to go abroad for treatment.

    If you have a right under national law to the treatment you're applying for, but it can't be provided within a medically reasonable time, authorisation must be granted. If you're not automatically entitled to the treatment, however, your national health insurance body is free to refuse authorisation if it so decides.

    Provided that you have obtained form S2, the costs of treatment will be reimbursed in accordance with the rules in the country where you are treated. This will be dealt with by the relevant institutions in your home country and the country of treatment so as a rule you will not have to pay upfront.

    Option 2
    You can opt to pay upfront for treatment and claim reimbursement later according to the reimbursement rates applied for the same treatment in the country where you are insured. If you are insured in a country that does not use reimbursement, then there will be a tariff corresponding to the cost of that treatment to the system.
    It doesn't matter whether the hospital or clinic which will be treating you is public or private.

    In some limited cases you may have to apply for prior authorisation - check this with your health insurance body or National Contact Point. Again, your application must be granted if you would otherwise have to wait too long for treatment at home.
  • I suffer from a rare disease which cannot be treated in my home country. It isn't even covered by my national healthcare system. Will my health insurer cover an operation in another EU country?

    The cost of your treatment abroad is covered only if the national social security system in the country where you are insured covers it. If it doesn't, your national health insurance body is not obliged to authorise treatment abroad or to reimburse the costs (although, of course, it may choose to do so).

    Contact your national authorities to find out what options are available to you.
See main information on this topic
Organising planned medical treatment abroad
Public consultations
    Need support from assistance services?
    Get help and advice