Navigation path

Updated : 25/06/2015

FAQs - Maintenance (support for family members)

  • I won my claim for maintenance - now I'm wondering how the ruling will be enforced if my ex-partner refuses to pay. Are there EU rules that apply?

    NO - This is governed purely by national laws, which vary from country to country.

    In some countries, the maintenance payments will be secured for you by an attachment order on your former spouse's salary, payable by their employer or bank.

    If this doesn't work, the money can be collected by national tax authorities.

    In some EU countries, public funds are available if your former partner is insolvent.

Need support from assistance services?
Get help and advice