Navigation path

Starting school in another EU country

  • My children don't speak the language of the country we've just moved to very well yet. Does this mean we have to put them in an expensive international school?

    NO - As EU citizens, your children are entitled to attend school in any EU country under the same conditions as nationals of that country. They have the right to be placed in a class with their own age group, at the equivalent level to their class in your country of origin, regardless of their language level.

    If you are an EU national moving to another EU country for work, your children are entitled under EU law to receive free language tuition in your new home country to help them adapt to the school system there.

Help and advice

Help and advice

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Get advice on your EU rights / Solve problems with a public body