Taxation depends on the legal structure chosen, the size of the income and turnover and whether it carries out an activity in one of the liberal professions. Various Acts cover taxation:
The main direct taxes for businesses are the following:
- Income tax, which has to be paid by business owners;
- Corporation tax, which has to be paid by a limited liability company, stock company and cooperative;
- Trade tax, which is paid by anyone in business (with the exception of freelancers and specific occupational groups such as farmers).
The main indirect tax for businesses is the following:
- Value-added tax [formerly turnover tax - (MWSt)], which has to be paid by all business owners (except small business holders).
Registration with the tax office
Submitting your tax declaration
Taxes are generally administered by the tax offices. The Form Management System (FMS) of the Federal Fiscal Authority offers online services and interactive forms for this.
Businesses are obliged to file provisional electronic declarations for payroll tax and VAT. Practical assistance is available from the ‘Elsterformular ’, free software for electronic tax declarations.
The following deadlines apply for paying taxes:
- Turnover tax: by the 10th day of the month following a fixed summary report period (month or quarter)
- Income tax / corporation tax / trade tax: quarterly prepayment; tax declaration after end of calendar year
The support database promotes information and training events on all economic, financial, technical, organisational, legal and fiscal problems associated with running or setting up a business.