The economy is global and competitive. Enterprises need new ideas so as to apply them in order to face up to market challenges, benefit from opportunities and be more competitive.
Research focuses in general on new knowledge. The purpose of innovation is to transmit new ideas and technologies derived from research and experience and to apply them, in other words allow enterprises to use them.
New ideas allow enterprises to create new products, services, enhance their quality and their organisational management. This is why enterprises incorporate research and innovation within their corporate strategy.
In the European Union and in Spain research and innovation are interlinked with enterprise, market requirements and economic growth. There is a particular focus on small and medium enterprises.
You, as enterprises, can benefit from familiarity with the world of research and innovation through publications, events, conventions.
Receive technical services, consultancy and transfers of technology from public bodies. Request economic grants for research or innovation. Locate your enterprise in technology parks.
Collaborate on public and private research projects and initiatives. Many of the funding rounds for such projects demand public and private collaboration. Develop your own research and innovation projects.
You can undertake such initiatives with public or private bodies of the European Union or Spain.
Research and innovation policy covers various fields: educational systems, research and innovation, collaboration by public organisations and enterprises, transfer of technology to enterprises, funding for innovative enterprises, tax breaks. Scientific and innovation culture in society and the business world. Framework of protection for new ideas through intellectual and industrial property
In Spain the research, innovation and development system is made up of Central Government and the Autonomous Communities (Regions).
For more information about the opportunities offered to companies by the Spanish research and innovation system you can consult the following websites of the Spanish Government (Central) and the Autonomous Governments (Regions).
- Almost all State Public Research Bodies have offices to provide enterprises with technical services, to transfer technology and undertake initiatives to promote collaboration between public and private research.
- The Centre for Technological and Industrial Development (CDTI) is a public central government entity the purpose of which is to work to enhance the technological level of Spanish businesses.
The Genome Foundation is a public sector organisation which promotes technological development, transfer of knowledge and innovation, essentially in the biotech sector.
- Transfer of knowledge from the research and innovation system to enterprises: Network of OTRI (Research Outcome Transfer Offices). Comprising universities, research centres, foundations and other bodies engaged in such activities as:
- Guidance for enterprises in seeking out knowledge aligned with their demands;
- Analysis of social needs;
- Information on research and innovation;
- Patent management;
- Search for funding;
- Facilitate project processing;
- Facilitate the processing, and in some cases creation, of technology-based enterprises.
Alongside innovation, access to R&D is essential for businesses to develop and stay competitive.
Intellectual property must be protected to encourage innovation.
The programme 'Inno Cámaras', launched by the Spanish Chambers of Commerce and funded by the EU, is intended to help enhance the competitiveness of small and medium enterprises through innovation.