The german innovation and technology policy aims to:
- considerably increase the number of new technology-focused and knowledge-based companies and innovative businesses;
- bolster key industrial technologies (research in energy, transport, aviation, shipbuilding and space travel) and cross-sector spheres (IT, multimedia, etc.);
- strengthen links between industry and research (with regional hubs and thematic clusters);
- apply scientific knowledge in an economically efficient manner;
- create general conditions to improve the climate for investment and demand for new products and services (taxation, less red tape, innovative procurement, standards and norms, etc.).
The Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology supports innovation and technology projects, especially cooperation between businesses and research bodies, to bolster the transfer of technology from research to industry and increase the innovation competence of SMEs.
Alongside innovation, access to R&D is essential for businesses to develop and stay competitive.
Intellectual property must be protected to encourage innovation.
Various support programs are available, e.g: