SAVE THE DATE European Commission - GAVI Alliance event Investing together for a healthy future 20 May 2014
European Commission - MEMO/14/339 12/05/2014
Other available languages: none
Brussels, 12 May 2014
SAVE THE DATE
European Commission - GAVI Alliance event
Investing together for a healthy future
20 May 2014
The European Commission is hosting an event in support of the GAVI Alliance, a non-profit organisation focused on saving children's lives and protecting people's health by increasing access to immunisation in poor countries.
At the event, the GAVI Alliance will set out the impact that can be achieved by supporting immunisation programmes in the world’s poorest countries and the funding required for this.
20th of May 2014, from 8am –5pm
Radisson Blu Royal Hotel (Rue du Fossé-aux-Loups 47, 1000)
• The European Commission President José Manuel Barroso will open the day with a key note address on Why Europe believes in the GAVI Alliance.
• Dr Seth Berkley, CEO of the GAVI Alliance will present The opportunity that lies ahead of us to strengthen health gains achieved in developing countries.
• European Commissioner for Development, Andris Piebalgs will close the morning session.
• Other participants include the President of Ethiopia, Mulatu Teshome
• Media are invited to attend the morning programme
• A press room will be available
• A press point is foreseen at 12:15pm with European Commissioner for Development Andris Piebalgs and with Dr Seth Berkley, CEO of the GAVI Alliance
• Photos and videos of the event will be available on Europe By Satellite
Register here before 15 May: http://www.amiando.com/GAVI_Alliance.html
- Stacey Vickers, Team leader, press team, EC. Stacey.VICKERS@ec.europa.eu
- Frédérique Tissandier, Manager Communications, email@example.com
To request an interview with Commissioner Piebalgs:
Maria Sanchez, Press Officer for EU Development policy. firstname.lastname@example.org
Social protection, health and education is a priority of the European Union support for inclusive and sustainable growth.
Since 2003 the European Union has contributed around €83 million to the GAVI Alliance.
It has directly contributed to the current 2011-2015 funding cycle €39.4 million, coming in part from the Development Co-operation Instrument (DCI) and in part from the European Development Fund (EDF).
This will be kick-off meeting in the run-up to the second GAVI Alliance Replenishment, starting the donor pledging process for the organisation for the 2016-2020 period. GAVI’s first replenishment was held in London in June 2011, bringing the total resources for the current cycle to €5.4 billion.
Since 2000, with support from donors and strong commitment from countries, the GAVI Alliance has helped to immunise an additional 440 million children, resulting in 6 million lives saved.