Sélecteur de langues
Operational programme 2007-2013: Indian Ocean
Commission Européenne - MEMO/08/486 07/07/2008
Brussels, 7 July 2008
1. Operational Programme 'Indian Ocean' 2007-2013 – programme under the 'European Territorial Cooperation' Objective co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF)
[ Figures and graphics available in PDF and WORD PROCESSED ]
2. General information
On 27 March 2008 the European Commission approved an Operational Programme for the Indian Ocean for the period 2007-2013. The programme covers both Réunion and the countries around the Indian Ocean, especially the southwest Indian Ocean countries which form the Indian Ocean Commission (Comoros, Madagascar, Mauritius and Seychelles).
This operational programme comes under the European Territorial Cooperation objective and has a total budget of about 47 million euros. The financing provided by the Community from the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) amounts to some 35 million euros, representing about 0.4% of Community aid under the European Territorial Cooperation objective as part of the cohesion policy for 2007-2013.
Financing from the European Development Fund (EDF) will be sought for the non-EU countries involved in this cooperation programme.
3. Purpose and aim of the programme
The transnational cooperation strategy in the Indian Ocean area for 2007-2013 constitutes the international strand of a wider development strategy, incorporating all European, national and regional public funding for the island of Réunion. It is particularly directed towards:
• sustainable development;
• enhancement of the environment;
• regional economic integration;
4. Expected impact of the investment
This transnational cooperation programme is based on a number of objectives:
• to develop centres of regional expertise in the fields of health;
• to conserve environmental and natural resources;
• to conduct operations against natural hazards, in particular through the placing of an observation satellite;
• to develop high-bandwidth communications by means of a digital cable system between the Indian Ocean islands;
• to launch a number of surveillance operations in maritime areas;
• to provide support to approximately 250 small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in order to develop their economic cooperation activities;
The operational programme is centred on three priorities:
Priority 1: Sustainable development and the environment [about 43.5% of total investment]
The aim of this priority is to enhance the expertise that can contribute to sustainable development at regional level, strengthen the fight against natural hazards (cyclones, emerging diseases, etc) and develop the sector of research and innovation.
Priority 2: Regional economic integration [about 29% of total investment]
There are two main objectives under this priority: to support the Réunion private sector in economic cooperation projects and to promote the exchange of knowledge through the networking of skill centres, including in the fields of maritime safety and the management of fishery stocks.
Priority 3: Promote human development and international solidarity to ensure harmonious regional integration [about 27.5% of total investment]
The aim of this priority is to develop privileged links among the populations, with a view to promoting exchanges in the fields of sport and culture, and to support solidarity actions and develop cooperation measures in the areas of training, education and integration.
6. Managing authority: Regional Council of Réunion - Saint-Denis, France
Conseil Régional de la Réunion
Hôtel de Région Pierre Lagourgue
Avenue René Cassin-Moufia
F-97719 Saint Denis Messag Cedex 9
AGILE (Agence de Gestion des Initiatives Locales en matière Européenne)
Mr Serge Joseph
3 rue Félix Guyon
F-97400 Saint Denis
Tel: + (0)2 62 90 10 80
Fax: + (0)2 62 21 90 72
7. Title: Operational Programme 2007–2013 for the Indian Ocean
Intervention type: Operational Programme
CCI No: 2007CB163PO042
Decision No: C/2008/1086
Approval date: 27/03/2008
8. Breakdown of funding by priority (in EUR)