Sélecteur de langues
Operational Programme "Euregio Maas-Rhein" 2007-2013 between Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands
Commission Européenne - MEMO/07/377 24/09/2007
Brussels, 24 September 2007
1. "INTERREG IV-A Euregio Maas-Rhein" 2007-2013 Operational Programme co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) under the European territorial cooperation objective.
[ Figures and graphics available in PDF and WORD PROCESSED ]
2. On 18 September 2007, the European Commission approved the Operational Programme (OP) INTERREG IV-A "Euregio Maas-Rhein" for Community assistance from the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) under the European territorial cooperation objective in Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands. The total allocation for the programme amounts to 144.8 million euros. The maximum contribution from the ERDF to the operational programme amounts to 72.4 million euros, i.e. a co-financing rate 50%. It covers the provinces of Liège and Limburg in Belgium, the Aachen region and the districts of Bitburg-Prüm and Daun in Germany and the south and centre of the Dutch province of Limburg. The districts of Huy-Waremme and Leuven (B) and Zuidoost-Noord-Brabant (NL) may also take part in the programme as adjacent areas and benefit from up to 20% of the ERDF contribution.
3. Strategic objectives of the Operational Programme
The cross-border co-operation strategy for Euregio Maas-Rhein for 2007-2013 aims to promote sustainable regional development in economic, spatial and social terms where borders are no longer an obstacle. This involves strengthening its image as an innovative region in which social cohesion and environmental protection are incorporated into the development and job-creation process.
4. Estimated impact of the Operational Programme
The implementation of this cross-border co-operation programme should lead to the creation of several business clusters, the establishment of a number of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in high-technology sectors, the development of public/private research, the protection of some 30 hectares of cross-border natural areas, the creation of new and sustainable transport routes and services, the development of the use of renewable energies, the creation of up to a dozen new cross-border health care services and the development of several new tourism products and cultural events.
There are four strands to the Operational Programme:
1) Strengthening the economic structure, the promotion of knowledge, innovation, and the creation of more and better quality jobs
This priority seeks to improve the economic competitiveness of the Euregio Maas-Rhein by developing business competitiveness, promoting technology and innovation, promoting cooperation between academic establishments and businesses, strengthening the tourism sector and supporting the development of the labour market.
2) Nature and the environment, energy, natural resources and mobility
There are three main objectives in this priority area: nature and landscape conservation, the promotion of sustainable forms of mobility and the production and promotion of renewable energy.
3) Quality of life
The aims here are to improve health care services by developing cross-border services, to promote cultural diversity, to improve the quality of life and to strengthen cooperation in the field of public security.
4) Technical assistance
This strand will provide support for the introduction of an effective management, monitoring and control system, for the evaluation of the programme and its projects and for communication and publicity actions relating to the programme.
6. Managing authority
Stichting Euregio Maas-Rhein
7. European Regional Development Fund Operational Programme
"INTERREG IV-A Euregio Maas-Rhein" 2007-2013 - European territorial
8. Financial breakdown by priority (in euros)