Brussels, 2 December 2013
Results of a phone conversation between the President of Ukraine Viktor Yanukovych and the President of the European Commission José Manuel Barroso
Today President Yanukovych of Ukraine called the President of the European Commission, José Manuel Barroso.
During the call, the President of the Commission made the following points regarding the current tense situation in Ukraine:
1. all sides should show restraint;
2. all civil rights and liberties should be respected;
3. the use of force by the police should be investigated as soon as possible;
4. it is important that the Ukrainian authorities urgently engage with all relevant political forces;
5. a peaceful and political solution is the only way for Ukraine out of the current situation.
President Yanukovych agreed with this approach and explicitly confirmed the intention to investigate into the use of force by the Ukrainian police and to inform the public about the results.
During the same telephone call, the President of Ukraine has asked the European Commission to receive a delegation from Ukraine to have a discussion on some aspects of the Association Agreement and the Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area.
President Barroso confirmed the readiness of the European Commission to receive such a delegation at the appropriate level. He underlined that the European Commission stands ready to discuss aspects of implementation related to the agreements already initialled, but not to re-open any kind of negotiations.
These terms were accepted by President Yanukovych and it was decided that the timing and the level of this consultation should be arranged through the appropriate diplomatic channels.