Brussels, 30 January 2002
Enzo Moavero Milanesi appointed Deputy Secretary General of the European Commission
The Commission today appointed Mr Enzo Moavero Milanesi, 47, a Commission official of Italian nationality, to the position of Deputy Secretary General of the Commission. Mr Moavero will be responsible for improving the Commission's working methods and for promoting the spread of best practice throughout the institution.
Enzo Moavero Milanesi joined the Commission in 1983. He began his Commission career in the Competition DG. He worked in the cabinets of Vice-President Pandolfi (1989-1992) and Commissioner Monti (1995-1999), and in the Secretariat-General before returning to DG Competition in 1999. In 1993-1994, he headed the European Affairs secretariat in the cabinet of the Italian Prime Minister.
His complete CV is attached.
Enzo MOAVERO MILANESI
Born 17.8.1954, Italian, married, 3 children
- 1977 Degree in Law (maxima cum laude), University of Rome La Sapienza.
- 1980 Attorney (Procuratore legale), after State exam and legal practice.
- 1982 Certificate in Community Law, College of Europe (Bruges).
- 1983 Certificate of the Academy of American and International Law, International and Comparative Law Center (UTD, USA).
1979/1983 Legal practice in a law firm of international law in Rome.
- 1978/1979 Lieutenant of the Guardia di Finanza; awarded: encomio solenne (mention in dispatches).
- 1983/1988 EC Commission, Directorate General for Competition: Official (duties: case handling, including inspections, economic and legal analysis, in the field of the application of EC antitrust rules); career: A7 - A5.
- 1989/1992 EC Commission, Cabinet of Vice-President F. Pandolfi (responsible for Telecommunications, Information Technologies, Science, Research and Technological Development): 1989, Member (duties: inter alia, telecommunications, audiovisual, culture, competition, internal market, financial services, taxation); 1990, Deputy chef de cabinet (duties: see above and substitute of the Chef de cabinet); 1991-92, Chef de cabinet (duties: direction of the cabinet).
- 1993/1994 Secretariat General of the Italian Prime Minister Office (Presidenza del Consiglio dei Ministri): Head of the Secretariat for Community Affairs (duties: direction of the office, coordination of the departments of the Italian administration on EC questions and assistance to the Prime Minister, e.g. preparation of the European Councils); Member of the Committee for the coordination of Italian economic policy with Community policy; Member of the Committee of expert for the Government Programme; Member of the Enquiry committee on poverty and social exclusion.
- 1994 EC Commission, Secretariat General: Adviser (A3), Directorate D: Relations with the Council.
- 1995/1999 EC Commission, Cabinet of Commissioner M. Monti (responsible for Internal Market, Financial Services and Financial Integration, Customs, Fiscal Matters; since September 1999, responsible for Competition): Chef de cabinet (duties: direction of the cabinet).
- since1999 EC Commission, Directorate General for Competition: Director Directorate D: Services (responsible for the application of EC antitrust rules to financial services, transports, environment, liberal professions, sport, commerce and other services).
Other Activities and Experiences
since 1991 Lecturer of Community Law in several Italian Universities
- 1976/1979 Coordinator of the Rome branch of the International Student Movement for the United Nations.
- 1979/1994 Member of the Editorial Committee of the Rivista di diritto industriale (industrial law review).
- since 1988 Member of the Editorial Board of the review Diritto comunitario e degli scambi internazionali (Community law review).
since 1999 Co-editor of the Revue du droit de l'Union Européenne.
- 1999 Member of the Comitato scientifico per il recepimento in Italia del diritto comunitario (advisory committee for enhancing in Italy the transposition of Community legislation), set up by the Italian Minister for Community policies.