This week the Commission will be organising a series of events in connection with the International Women's Day on 8 March.
Equality between women and men is one of the European Union's founding values and promoting gender equality remains a core activity of the European Commission. In December 2015, the Commission adopted its Strategic engagement for gender equality 2016-2019, a reference framework for increased efforts at all levels – European, national, regional and local – to achieve real equality between women and men in all spheres of life within the EU and elsewhere. See http://ec.europa.eu/justice/gender-equality/index_en.htm for more info.
To tackle gender equality challenges in its action abroad, the Commission has also adopted a new Action Plan for the EU's activities on gender equality and women's empowerment in the EU's external relations for the 2016-2020 period.
Monday 7 March:
- Vice-President Kristalina Georgieva will participate in the annual Equal Opportunities Conference organised to promote equal career opportunities among employees of the European Commission.
- Commissioner Neven Mimica will open in the EU-CELAC (Community of Latin American and Caribbean States) Seminar on Gender Equality and Women's Economic Empowerment, in Brussels.
Tuesday 8 March: Women's day
- Vice-President Kristalina Georgieva and Commissioner Vĕra Jourová will participate in a breakfast organised by the Women's right and Gender Equality committee of the Parliament in Strasbourg.
- 16:00: Joint press conference by Commissioner Jourová and Iratxe Garcia Perez, chair of the Women's right and Gender Equality committee in Strasbourg.
Thursday 10 March:
- President Jean-Claude Juncker will receive Ms Silvana Koch-Mehrin, founder and chairperson of the Women in Parliaments Global Forum.
- At 17:30, Commissioner Carlos Moedas will participate in a Citizens' Dialogue with the topic "Women innovate, Europe gains" and present awards for the EU prize for Women Innovators 2016 Ceremony, in Brussels.