The EU has received the 2012 award for advancing the causes of peace, reconciliation, democracy and human rights in Europe.
Fast facts, background information, progress and more in depth information on main EU issues
30/03/2012 - Justice and citizens rights
1 April 2012 marks the launch of European Citizens' Initiatives. From that day, a million citizens from across Europe can come together on an issue that is important to them, and ask the Commission to do something about it.
30/03/2012 - Justice and citizens rights
The European Commission launched a public consultation on modernising EU rules governing insolvencies. The results of the consultation will help determine whether and how the existing Regulation needs to be revised in order to bolster businesses and strengthen the EU's Single Market.
29/03/2012 - Business / Economy, finance, tax and competition
The Economic Sentiment Indicator decreased by 0.8 points in the EU and by a marginal 0.1 points in the euro area, to 93.2 and 94.4, respectively. The Business Climate Indicator for the euro area decreased by 0.14 points to -0.30.
29/03/2012 - Economy, finance, tax and competition
Legislation to make trade over-the-counter (OTC) derivatives safer and more transparent was adopted by Parliament. Derivatives' trading is widely believed to have contributed to the global financial crisis.
29/03/2012 - Transport and travel
Progress in cutting road fatalities significantly slowed last year (to -2%) compared with a very promising EU-wide reduction throughout the last decade (on average -6%), according to new figures published by the European Commission.
28/03/2012 - Justice and citizens rights / Science and technology
It is estimated that, worldwide, more than one million people become victims of cybercrime every day.The European Commission proposed to establish a European Cybercrime Centre to help protect European citizens and businesses against these mounting cyber-threats.
28/03/2012 - Science and technology
Data roaming and phone calls abroad should be much cheaper this summer thanks to a deal provisionally agreed by MEPs and the Danish Presidency of the Council of Ministers on Tuesday evening.
27/03/2012 - Business
According to the Eurobarometer survey on "SMEs, resource efficiency and green markets", 37% of EU SMEs have at least one full or part-time green employee.
27/03/2012 - Economy, finance, tax and competition
In 2008/2009, the Commission adopted a temporary State aid framework to enable Member States to deal with financial problems in systemic banks, as well as support access to finance for real economy firms.
26/03/2012 - Institutional affairs
The discussions on the European Union's budget framework for 2014-2020 (the Multiannual Financial Framework, MFF) have entered a new phase: at its meeting on 26 March 2012 the General Affairs Council for the first time discussed the "negotiating box" that contains the most central issues and options.
26/03/2012 - Science and technology / Statistics
On the occasion of the e-skills week, which will take place from 26-30 March 2012, Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union, publishes data on university graduates in computing and computer skills of individuals.
23/03/2012 - Environment, consumers and health
The European Commission proposed new rules to ensure that European ships are only recycled in facilities that are safe for workers and environmentally sound.
23/03/2012 - Economy, finance, tax and competition
If adopted as a new own resource of the EU budget the financial transaction tax (FTT) will significantly reduce the contributions of member states to the EU budget.
23/03/2012 - Regions and local development
The aim of the Strategy is to increase the impact of EU funds to reach common goals, such as the improvement of water quality in the entire region. The Communication sets three new focuses for co operation: "Save the Sea", "Connect the Region" and "Increase Prosperity".
- Mechanical Engineering Industry – A large, successful and heterogeneous sector
- DOCUMENT. An introduction to Mechanical Engineering: Study on the Competitiveness of the EU Mechanical Engineering Industry
- Alert Mechanism Report - Council Conclusions
- More press releases from the Economic and financial affairs Council
- VIDEO. Economic and Financial Affairs - Press conference
- VIDEO. Eurogroup meeting – 12.03.2012 – Press conference
- Remarks by President of the European Council Herman Van Rompuy at the European Parliament
- Speech by President Barroso on the outcome of the Spring European Council
- More information about the 1-2 March European Council
Overall, European action has already helped more than 32 million people to gain access to improved water supply and 9 million to sanitation facilities.
- Statement by the Eurogroup President, Jean-Claude Juncker
- EP President Martin Schulz welcomes Greek debt swap deal
- European central Bank - Eligibility of bonds issued or guaranteed by the Greek government in Eurosystem credit operations
- Economic situation in Greece
- Background information
- 17.01.2012 - The European Commission started legal action against Hungary over new legislation that came into force at the beginning of the year under Hungary's new constitution