European Parliament Committee Meetings
European Parliament's committees are primarily responsible for preparing the legislative work for Parliament's plenary, on the basis of which it adopts legislative resolutions.
Their core task is to draw up reports on legislative proposals that have been referred to Parliament, or on which Parliament has been consulted, and on own-initiative reports.
Parliament has 20 standing committees, and 2 subcommittees, each responsible for an area of community policy: foreign affairs, environment, development, international trade, budget etc, and working methods appropriate to its areas of expertise.
Special committees are sometimes created on an ad-hoc basis to address a specific topic.
Each committee elects a chairman and four vice-chairmen for consecutive periods of two and a half years in each parliamentary term. Each committee has its own secretariat.
Committees meet in public, once or twice a month, generally during the weeks that follow plenary sittings in Strasbourg. The meetings are broadcasted live (through EP Live).
KEY ITEMS OF THE COMMITTEES:
- Drafts amending budget 2014 and European globalisation adjustment fund in Ireland and Greece (votes) in BUDG
- EU Strategic Framework on Health and Safety at Work 2014-2020 (vote) in EMPL
- Cultivation of GMOs and 2014 UN Climate Change Conference - COP 20 in Lima (votes) in ENVI
- Situation in the Mediterranean one year after Lampedusa tragic events (vote) in LIBE
- European Court of Auditors' Annual Report concerning the financial year 2013 in CONT
PUBLIC HEARINGS, JOINT MEETINGS, WORKSHOPS, INTER-PARLIAMENTARY MEETINGS:
- Public hearing with D NOUY, Chair of the Supervisory Board of the ECB in ECON
- Exchanges of views on “The humanitarian crisis in Syria and the situation of Syrian refugees in the region” and “Ebola Crisis” in DEVE
Exchange of views with J M SANTOS CALDERÓN, President of Colombia in AFET
- Hearing on “European road toll systems for private vehicles” by TRAN
Conference on “Spring forward for Women” by FEMM with EP President
- Exchange of views with Z JAKAB, WHO Regional Director for Europe, on the Ebola crisis and Workshop on “ETS market stability reserve” by ENVI
- Exchange of views with F FISCHLER, Chair of the Steering Committee on the EU scientific programme of MILAN EXPO 2015 in ENVI and AGRI
- Hearing on “Human Rights in the Western Balkans, including the Human Rights Aspects of the Progress Reports” by DROI
- Public hearing on ”A new EU Forest Strategy” by AGRI
- Public hearing on "EU Energy Security Strategy under the conditions of the Internal Energy Market" by ITRE
- Workshop on "Challenges in Constitutional Affairs in the new term: taking stock and looking forward" by AFCO
- Public hearing on "EU-Myanmar Investment Agreement" by INTA
- Public hearing on “The Oyster Industry in Europe: Challenges for producers” by PECH
Full agenda: go to List of Committees (cf. below)