European Parliament Committee Meetings
European Parliament's committees are primarily responsible for preparing the legislative work for Parliament's plenary, on the basis of which it adopts legislative resolutions.
Their core task is to draw up reports on legislative proposals that have been referred to Parliament, or on which Parliament has been consulted, and on own-initiative reports.
Parliament has 20 standing committees, and 2 subcommittees, each responsible for an area of community policy: foreign affairs, environment, development, international trade, budget etc, and working methods appropriate to its areas of expertise.
Special committees are sometimes created on an ad-hoc basis to address a specific topic.
Each committee elects a chairman and four vice-chairmen for consecutive periods of two and a half years in each parliamentary term. Each committee has its own secretariat.
Committees meet in public, once or twice a month, generally during the weeks that follow plenary sittings in Strasbourg. The meetings are broadcasted live (through EP Live).
KEY ITEMS OF THE COMMITTEES:
Presentation of Greek presidency program in committees
- 2013 progress reports on fYRoM, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Montenegro (debates and votes) in AFET
- Return of cultural objects unlawfully removed from the territory of a Member State (vote) in CULT
- Private copying levies (vote) in JURI
- Protection against dumped and subsidised imports from countries not members of the EC and Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) (votes) in INTA
- Shipments of waste (vote) in ENVI
- Deployment of the eCall in-vehicle system (vote) in IMCO
- Specific actions in the Common Fisheries Policy for developing the role of women (vote) in FEMM and PECH
- Smart borders package in LIBE
Full agenda: go to List of Committees (cf. below)
PUBLIC HEARINGS, JOINT MEETINGS, WORKSHOPS, INTER-PARLIAMENTARY MEETINGS:
- Public hearing on “New technologies and open educational resources” by CULT
- Public hearing on “The place of humanitarian aid in the EU’s external action: the importance of respecting the humanitarian principles” by DEVE
- Hearing on "Relations between the European Parliament and the European Commission: Parliamentarism or Presidentialism?" by AFCO
European Parliamentary Week and Inter-parliamentary Conference on “Economic and Financial Governance” with National Parliaments
- Public hearing on "EU strategy towards Iran after Geneva" by AFET
- - Workshop on "Measures at farm level to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from EU agriculture" by AGRI
- Workshop on “New approaches to nuclear disarmament” by SEDE
Economic Dialogue and exchange of views with Y STOURNARAS, Minister of Finance of Greece in ECON
- Workshop on “Cigarette smuggling” by CONT
- Hearing on “Human rights in Russia” by DROI
- Public Hearing on “Reform of the European Union Solidarity Fund” by REGI
- Workshop on “Discrimination in healthcare” by ENVI
- Public hearing on "European Council on Defence: What's next for CSDP?" by SEDE
- Joint Committee meeting on “EU accession to the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms (ECHR)” by LIBE and AFCO
- Committee Inquiry on “Electronic Mass Surveillance of EU Citizens: exchange of views on the Russian communications interception practices (SORM)” in LIBE
- Joint Committee meeting on “Fight against fraud to the Union's financial interests by means of criminal law” by CONT and LIBE
- Appointment of a member of the Court of Auditors (hearing and vote) in CONT
- Hearing on “Human rights in West Papua, Indonesia” by DROI