European Parliament committee meetings
European Parliament's committees are primarily responsible for preparing the legislative work for Parliament's plenary, on the basis of which it adopts legislative resolutions.
Their core task is to draw up reports on legislative proposals that have been referred to Parliament, or on which Parliament has been consulted, and on own-initiative reports.
Parliament has 20 standing committees, and 2 subcommittees, each responsible for an area of community policy: foreign affairs, environment, development, international trade, budget etc, and working methods appropriate to its areas of expertise.
Special committees are sometimes created on an ad-hoc basis to address a specific topic.
Each committee elects a chairman and four vice-chairmen for consecutive periods of two and a half years in each parliamentary term. Each committee has its own secretariat.
Committees meet in public, once or twice a month, generally during the weeks that follow plenary sittings in Strasbourg. The meetings are broadcasted live (through EP Live).
KEY ITEMS OF THE COMMITTEES:
- Trialogue on Tobacco directive
- Action Plan for a competitive and sustainable steel industry in Europe (vote) in ITRE
- Single Resolution Mechanism and Single Bank Resolution Fund (vote) in ECON
- Fund for European Aid to the Most Deprived (FEAD) (vote) in EMPL
- Freezing and confiscation of proceeds of crime in the European Union (vote) in LIBE
- Private copying levies (vote) in JURI
- 4th railway package and Air passengers rights (votes) in TRAN
- Modalities for reaching the 2020 target to reduce CO2 emissions from new passenger cars (vote) in ENVI
Full agenda: go to List of Committees (cf. below)
PUBLIC HEARINGS, JOINT MEETINGS, WORKSHOPS, INTER-PARLIAMENTARY MEETINGS:
- Hearing on "Evaluation of the Mediterranean Fisheries Regulation” by PECH
- Hearing on “Troika investigation exercise” with O REHN, Vice-President of the EC in ECON
- Monetary dialogue with M DRAGHI, President of the European Central Bank in ECON
- Public hearing on “Implementation of the Arms Trade Treaty” by INTA
- Joint Committee Meeting on “The EU internal market for the 21st century” by ITRE and National Parliaments
- Conference on “Invasive alien species” by ENVI
- Joint committee meeting on “The model financial regulation for public-private partnership bodies” by CONT and BUDG
- Joint debate on “Visa policy” by LIBE and AFET
- Committee inquiry on “Electronic mass surveillance of EU citizens” by LIBE
- Joint committee meeting on “Humanitarian aid in Syria” by AFET and DEVE
- High level conference on “Afghanistan and Central Asia: Prospects and challenges after withdrawal of NATO/ISAF forces” by AFET
- Public hearing on “Cohesion Policy and Demographic Change” by REGI