European Parliament committee meetings
European Parliament's committees are primarily responsible for preparing the legislative work for Parliament's plenary, on the basis of which it adopts legislative resolutions.
Their core task is to draw up reports on legislative proposals that have been referred to Parliament, or on which Parliament has been consulted, and on own-initiative reports.
Parliament has 20 standing committees, and 2 subcommittees, each responsible for an area of community policy: foreign affairs, environment, development, international trade, budget etc, and working methods appropriate to its areas of expertise.
Special committees are sometimes created on an ad-hoc basis to address a specific topic.
Each committee elects a chairman and four vice-chairmen for consecutive periods of two and a half years in each parliamentary term. Each committee has its own secretariat.
Committees meet in public, once or twice a month, generally during the weeks that follow plenary sittings in Strasbourg. The meetings are broadcasted live (through EP Live).
KEY ITEMS OF THE COMMITTEES:
- 2011 Discharge (vote) in CONT
- Statute and funding of European political parties and European political foundations (vote) in AFCO
- Ground handling services at Union airports (vote) and Rights of people travelling by air in TRAN
- Renewable energy in the European Internal Energy Market (vote) in ITRE
- EP's Budget 2014 adoption in BUDG
Economic Dialogue and exchange of views with J DIJSSELBLOEM, President of the Eurogroup in ECON
Full agenda: go toList of Committees (cf. below)
PUBLIC HEARINGS, JOINT MEETINGS, WORKSHOPS, INTER-PARLIAMENTARY MEETINGS:
- Public hearing on "Collective Management of Copyright and Related Rights: Towards a Viable Solution" by JURI
- Workshop on "South Sudan: Enhancing capacities for human rights" by DROI
- Public hearing on "The maritime dimension of CSDP" by SEDE
- Joint Committee Meeting on "Mutual recognition of protection measures in civil matters" by JURI and FEMM
- Hearing on "Quality education for girls, the fight against illiteracy, and the issue of early and forced marriage" by DROI and FEMM
- Public hearing on "The proposal for a Common European Sales Law: work in progress" by JURI
- Workshop on "Access and Benefit Sharing of Genetic Resources" by ENVI
- Hearing on "Corruption, organised crime and money laundering: The impact on development" by CRIM and DEVE
- Hearing on "Adapting European structures and institutions in view of fighting organised crime, corruption and money laundering" by CRIM and LIBE
- Public hearing on "How to register your car in Europe" by IMCO
- Public hearing on "The financing of the Eastern Partnership" by BUDG
- Hearing on "Trade in Environmental Goods" by INTA
- Public hearing on "Farming: a hazardous occupation - how to improve health and safety" by EMPL and AGRI
- Workshop on "Gender balance in corporate boards and top-management" by FEMM and JURI
- Public hearing on "Tackling youth unemployment: possible ways out" by EMPL
- Hearing on "Schengen / Border Management: State of play and further developments" by LIBE