European Parliament committee meetings
European Parliament's committees are primarily responsible for preparing the legislative work for Parliament's plenary, on the basis of which it adopts legislative resolutions.
Their core task is to draw up reports on legislative proposals that have been referred to Parliament, or on which Parliament has been consulted, and on own-initiative reports.
Parliament has 20 standing committees, and 2 subcommittees, each responsible for an area of community policy: foreign affairs, environment, development, international trade, budget etc, and working methods appropriate to its areas of expertise.
Special committees are sometimes created on an ad-hoc basis to address a specific topic.
Each committee elects a chairman and four vice-chairmen for consecutive periods of two and a half years in each parliamentary term. Each committee has its own secretariat.
Committees meet in public, once or twice a month, generally during the weeks that follow plenary sittings in Strasbourg. The meetings are broadcasted live (through EP Live).
KEY ITEMS OF THE COMMITTEES:
- General Data Protection regulation in LIBE
Economic dialogues with V GRILLI, Minister of the Economy and Finance of Italy and with M NOONAN, Minister for Finance of Ireland in ECON
- 2012 Progress reports on Montenegro, Serbia, Turkey in AFET
- Composition of the EP with a view to the 2014 elections in AFCO
- Common system of VAT in ECON
- European semester in ECON, IMCO and EMPL
- Corporate Social Responsibility in JURI and EMPL
- Health protection: radioactive substances in water in ENVI
CAP reform (vote) in AGRI followed by a press conference
- Recognising qualifications, the Governance of the single market, Customs enforcement of intellectual property rights and utilities procurement (votes) in IMCO
- Nuclear stress test (vote) in ITRE
Full agenda: go to List of Committees (cf. below)
PUBLIC HEARINGS, JOINT MEETINGS, WORKSHOPS, INTER-PARLIAMENTARY MEETINGS:
Exchange of views with L FABIUS, Minister of Foreign Affairs of France, on the situation in Mali by AFET
- Public hearing on "Millennium development goals and beyond 2015 - a strong EU engagement" by DEVE
- Public hearing on "Roadworthiness checks and road safety" and Presentation on "Industrial Heritage and Rural Tourism" by TRAN
- Public hearing on "Sexual and reproductive health and rights" by FEMM
- Public hearing on "Criminal law, transnational investigation and prosecution in the fight against organised crime, corruption and money laundering" by CRIM
- Inter-parliamentary Committee Meeting on "Do EU citizens enjoy free movement?" by JURI and National Parliaments
- Public hearing on "European Aid to the Most Deprived: Reaching out to People in Need Across Europe" by EMPL
- Debate on "Situation in Mali and EU Training Mission Mali" by SEDE and AFET
- Public hearing on "The impact of the crisis on access to care for vulnerable groups" by EMPL