European Parliament Committee Meetings
25/11/2013 - 28/11/2013
European Parliament, Brussels
European Parliament's committees are primarily responsible for preparing the legislative work for Parliament's plenary, on the basis of which it adopts legislative resolutions.
Their core task is to draw up reports on legislative proposals that have been referred to Parliament, or on which Parliament has been consulted, and on own-initiative reports.
Parliament has 20 standing committees, and 2 subcommittees, each responsible for an area of community policy: foreign affairs, environment, development, international trade, budget etc, and working methods appropriate to its areas of expertise.
Special committees are sometimes created on an ad-hoc basis to address a specific topic.
Each committee elects a chairman and four vice-chairmen for consecutive periods of two and a half years in each parliamentary term. Each committee has its own secretariat.
Committees meet in public, once or twice a month, generally during the weeks that follow plenary sittings in Strasbourg. The meetings are broadcasted live (through EP Live).
KEY ITEMS OF THE COMMITTEES:
- Progress reports on Albania, Serbia, fYRoM, Iceland and Montenegro in AFET
- Alternative fuels for transport (vote) in TRAN
- Sexual and reproductive health and rights (vote) in FEMM
- Collective management of copyrights (vote) in JURI
- Negotiations on Portability of pension rights between EP and Council
- Appointment of the Chairperson of the Supervisory Board of the Single Supervisory Mechanism in ECON
- Common Fisheries Policy (votes) in PECH
- Sound level of vehicles (vote) and European strategy on plastic waste in the environment in ENVI
- Reindustrialising Europe, Copernicus Programme and Deploying high-speed electronic communications network (votes) in ITRE
- Public procurement for 3rd countries and Omnibus I and II (votes) in INTA
Full agenda: go to List of Committees (cf. below)
PUBLIC HEARINGS, JOINT MEETINGS, WORKSHOPS, INTER-PARLIAMENTARY MEETINGS:
- Exchange of views with E O´REILLY, European Ombudsman in PETI
- Hearing on "Animal and plant health legislative package" by AGRI
- Workshop on “Barcelona targets revisited” by FEMM
- Workshop on "Strengthening European Democracy: Citizens' participation" by AFCO
- Public Hearing on "The cost-efficiency of the EU Buildings policy" by CONT
- Inter-parliamentary committee meeting on “Towards productive investment for growth and cohesion – improve synergies between local, national and EU level to deliver the EU 2020 strategy” by REGI and National Parliaments
- Hearing on “Using NER 300 and the Energy Recovery Plan to renew the energy sector” by ITRE
- Hearing on “European single market for electronic communications” by IMCO
- Hearing on “Implementation of social and environmental provisions in bilateral trade agreements” by INTA
- Hearing on “Situation of human rights in Colombia” by DROI
- Joint committee meeting on “Specific actions in the Common Fisheries Policy for developing the role of women” by PECH and FEMM
- Mini hearing on “European Law Enforcement Training Scheme” by LIBE
- Hearing on “The Commission’s proposal on measures concerning the European single market for electronic communications” by ITRE
- Workshop on “The training of legal practitioners: teaching EU law and judgecraft” by JURI and LIBE
- Hearing on “Access to safe drinking water and sanitation” by DROI
- Joint committee meeting on “Prevention of the use of the financial system for the purpose of money laundering and terrorist financing and Information accompanying transfers of funds” by ECON and LIBE