European Parliament committee meetings
23/09/2013 - 26/09/2013
European Parliament, Brussels
European Parliament's committees are primarily responsible for preparing the legislative work for Parliament's plenary, on the basis of which it adopts legislative resolutions.
Their core task is to draw up reports on legislative proposals that have been referred to Parliament, or on which Parliament has been consulted, and on own-initiative reports.
Parliament has 20 standing committees, and 2 subcommittees, each responsible for an area of community policy: foreign affairs, environment, development, international trade, budget etc, and working methods appropriate to its areas of expertise.
Special committees are sometimes created on an ad-hoc basis to address a specific topic.
Each committee elects a chairman and four vice-chairmen for consecutive periods of two and a half years in each parliamentary term. Each committee has its own secretariat.
Committees meet in public, once or twice a month, generally during the weeks that follow plenary sittings in Strasbourg. The meetings are broadcasted live (through EP Live).
KEY ITEMS OF THE COMMITTEES:
- Monetary Dialogue with M. DRAGHI, President of the ECB in ECON
- Final trialogue on CAP reform
- Medical devices (votes) in ENVI
Full agenda: go to List of Committees (cf. below)
PUBLIC HEARINGS, JOINT MEETINGS, WORKSHOPS, INTER-PARLIAMENTARY MEETINGS:
- Public Hearing with M. DRAGHI, Chairman of the European Systemic Risk Board in ECON
- Exchange of views with K. REGLING, Managing Director of the European Stability Mechanism by ECON
- Committee Inquiry (3rd Hearing) on Electronic mass surveillance of EU citizens – NSA surveillance in LIBE
- Joint committee meeting on “Mid-term review of the Stockholm Programme” by JURI, LIBE and AFCO
- Workshop on “eHealth Action Plan 2012-2020 - Innovative healthcare for the 21st century” by ENVI
- Workshop on “The long road towards an EU-India Free Trade Agreement” by INTA
- Public Hearing on “The experience of Central and Eastern Europe in implementing Cohesion Policy: lessons learnt and future perspectives” by REGI
- Public hearing on “The impact of the crisis on the EU” by PETI
- Inter-parliamentary Committee meeting on “EU Human Rights Policy” by AFET, DROI, and National Parliaments
- Workshop on “State Aid Modernisation” by ECON
- Hearing on " European Court of Auditors: from legality and regularity audits to evaluation of efficiency and effectiveness of EU projects and programmes. The special reports as a useful instrument for the legislator" by CONT
- Public hearing on “EU readmission policy and human rights implications” by DROI and LIBE
- Public hearing on "EU support to United Nations and African Union Peacekeeping operations" and Expert hearing on “Military implications of the situation in Syria” by SEDE
- Seminar on “The European Social Model - A key driver for competitiveness” by EMPL
- Joint Committee meeting on “The 2030 framework for climate and energy policies” by ITRE and ENVI
- Workshop on “Plastic Waste” by ENVI
- 1st Retail Market Roundtable on “For a more efficient and fairer retail market” in Europe by IMCO