European Parliament committee meetings
16/09/2013 - 18/09/2013
European Parliament, Brussels
European Parliament's committees are primarily responsible for preparing the legislative work for Parliament's plenary, on the basis of which it adopts legislative resolutions.
Their core task is to draw up reports on legislative proposals that have been referred to Parliament, or on which Parliament has been consulted, and on own-initiative reports.
Parliament has 20 standing committees, and 2 subcommittees, each responsible for an area of community policy: foreign affairs, environment, development, international trade, budget etc, and working methods appropriate to its areas of expertise.
Special committees are sometimes created on an ad-hoc basis to address a specific topic.
Each committee elects a chairman and four vice-chairmen for consecutive periods of two and a half years in each parliamentary term. Each committee has its own secretariat.
Committees meet in public, once or twice a month, generally during the weeks that follow plenary sittings in Strasbourg. The meetings are broadcasted live (through EP Live).
KEY ITEMS OF THE COMMITTEES:
- Sakharov Prize – Presentation of nominees in AFET, DEVE and DROI
- Air Passenger Rights Regulation in TRAN
- Transparency of investment products (vote) in ECON
- Final report in CRIM
- Common European Sales Law (vote) in JURI
- PETI’s annual report 2012 in PETI
- Trade relations with China in INTA
- Medical devices (votes) in ENVI
- Horizon 2020 (debate) and European satellite navigation systems (vote) in ITRE
Full agenda: go to List of Committees (cf. below)
PUBLIC HEARINGS, JOINT MEETINGS, WORKSHOPS, INTER-PARLIAMENTARY MEETINGS:
- Exchange of views with E RAMA, Prime Minister of Albania in AFET
- Public hearing on “The Eastern Partnership and its Multilateral Platforms – what impact?” by AFET
- Hearing on “The European Commission as administrative authority: accountability and implementation of the EU budget over the last 10 years” by CONT
- Hearing on “Private Copying Levies” by JURI
- Hearing on “Promoting development through responsible business practices, including the role of extractive industries in developing countries” by DEVE
- Roundtable on “Tourism in Europe: Attracting new flows” and Public hearing on “Weight and dimensions of trucks” by TRAN
- Public Hearing on “European industrial strategy to protect and valorise European assets and inventions developed in relation to GALILEO” by ITRE
- Joint committee meeting on “Gender balance among non-executive directors of companies listed on stock exchanges” by JURI and FEMM
- Joint public hearing on “The EU Framework for National Roma Integration Strategies” by LIBE and FEMM
- Briefing session on “Draft Directive on actions for damages for infringements of competition law” by ECON
- Workshop on “Effectiveness of Medicines and Therapies” by ENVI
- Public Hearings on "How can the EU contribute to creating a hospitable environment for enterprises, businesses and start-ups to create jobs?" and "Effective labour inspections as a strategy to improve working conditions in Europe" by EMPL