Employment, Social Policy, Health and Consumer Affairs Council
20/06/2013 - 21/06/2013
Centre de conférences Kirchberg, Luxembourg
Employment and social rights
Environment, consumers and health
Council of the EU
Employment and social policy issues:
The Council will hold a policy debate on the European Semester and its contribution to the European Council of 28-29 June:
- approving draft Council recommendations to each member state on their national reform programmes for 2013,
- endorsing opinions of the Employment Committee and of the Social Protection Committee on the national reform programmes (2013) and the implementation of the 2012 country-specific recommendations,
- endorsing an assessment of the 2013 package of Council recommendations on cross-cutting issues as well as the employment performance monitor and benchmarks.
As regards youth employment, the Council will discuss the implementation of initiatives in support of employment, in particular the youth guarantee.
The Council will take note of progress on a draft directive on the posting of workers in the framework of the provision of services.
The Council will be called on to agree on a position on the European Globalisation Adjustment Fund, which would allow to open negotiations with the European Parliament for a first reading agreement.
It will try to reach political agreement on a directive aimed at improving the acquisition and preservation of supplementary pension rights with a view to enhancing worker mobility.
The Council will attempt to reach a general approach on a regulation establishing a fund for European aid to the most deprived.
Ministers will take stock of progress reports on a directive improving the gender balance among non-executive directors of companies listed on stock exchanges and related measures, and on a directive on equal treatment.
The Council will also adopt conclusions on:
- towards social investment for growth and cohesion,
- women and the Media: Advancing their roles as decision-makers.
The Council will be invited to agree a general approach on a revision of the directive on the manufacture, presentation and sale of tobacco and related products (the so-called "tobacco directive")
The Council will also take note of two Presidency progress reports concerning:
- a draft regulation on clinical trials on medicinal products for human use.
- two draft regulations on medical devices and on in vitro diagnostic medical devices
A presidency briefing, agenda and background note will be published on the Council website closer to the date of the meeting.