Agriculture and Fisheries Council
13/05/2013 - 14/05/2013
Justus Lipsius building, Brussels, Belgium
Agriculture, fisheries and food
Council of the EU
The Council will take stock of the state of play of the negotiations with the European Parliament on the reform of the common agricultural policy (CAP) and of the common fisheries policy (CFP).
These negotiations have recently been launched following the Council's adoption of "general approaches" establishing its position on the legislative reform proposals. A general approach is a political agreement reached within the Council before the European Parliament has determined its own position on the issue.
With respect to the CAP reform, the general approach reached by the Council in March this year covers four regulations concerning:
- rules for direct payments to farmers under support schemes within the CAP framework
- common organisation of the markets in agricultural products (single CMO regulation)
- support for rural development by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development
- the financing, management and monitoring of the CAP
As regards the common fisheries policy, the general approaches agreed by the Council in June 2012 and in February this year concern proposals for:
- a regulation reviewing the basic provisions of the CFP with the aim of ensuring sustainable management of fishery resources and contributing to the availability of food supplies; and
- a regulation on the common organisation of the markets in fishery and aquaculture products, intended to contribute to the achievement of the objectives of the CFP, to enable the industry to apply the CFP at the appropriate level and to strengthen competitiveness, particularly of producers.
A presidency briefing, agenda and background note will be published on the Council website closer to the date of the meeting.