European Parliament committee meetings
08/07/2013 - 11/07/2013
European Parliament, Brussels
European Parliament's committees are primarily responsible for preparing the legislative work for Parliament's plenary, on the basis of which it adopts legislative resolutions.
Their core task is to draw up reports on legislative proposals that have been referred to Parliament, or on which Parliament has been consulted, and on own-initiative reports.
Parliament has 20 standing committees, and 2 subcommittees, each responsible for an area of community policy: foreign affairs, environment, development, international trade, budget etc, and working methods appropriate to its areas of expertise.
Special committees are sometimes created on an ad-hoc basis to address a specific topic.
Each committee elects a chairman and four vice-chairmen for consecutive periods of two and a half years in each parliamentary term. Each committee has its own secretariat.
Committees meet in public, once or twice a month, generally during the weeks that follow plenary sittings in Strasbourg. The meetings are broadcasted live (through EP Live).
KEY ITEMS OF THE COMMITTEES:
- Music copyright (vote) in JURI
- Internal Market for Services and Simplification of the transfer of motor vehicles registered in another Member State (votes) in IMCO
- Roaming charges (vote) in ITRE
- Tobacco and related products, Ship recycling and Indirect land use change (votes) in ENVI
- Extraordinary meeting on “The US NSA surveillance programme, surveillance bodies in various Member States and impact on EU citizen's privacy” by LIBE
- Regional policy and Energy efficiency (votes) in REGI
- Fisheries fund (vote) in PECH
Full agenda: go to List of Committees (cf. below)
PUBLIC HEARINGS, JOINT MEETINGS, WORKSHOPS, INTER-PARLIAMENTARY MEETINGS:
- Public Hearing with M DRAGHI, Chairman of the European Systemic Risk Board by ECON
- Monetary dialogue with M DRAGHI, President of the European Central Bank by ECON
- Economic Dialogue and exchange of views with U ČUFER, Minister of Finance of Slovenia by ECON
- Economic Dialogue and exchange of views with R ŠADŽIUS, Minister of Finance of Lithuania by ECON
- Workshop on “Legal aspects of free and open source software” by JURI
- Public hearing on "Social dimension of the Economic and Monetary Union (EMU) - European unemployment benefit scheme" by EMPL
- Joint committee on “Gender balance among non-executive directors of companies listed on stock exchanges” by JURI and FEMM
- Joint committee on “Mid-term review of the Stockholm Programme” by JURI, LIBE and AFCO
- Hearing on "The future of Europe's Horticulture sector - strategies for growth" by AGRI
- Joint meeting on “Presentation of the Commission Communication on Maximising the Development Impact of Migration” by LIBE and DEVE
- Exchange of views on “Human rights situation in Pakistan” by DROI
- Workshop on “Common European Sales Law: The way forward” with the National Parliaments by JURI
- Hearing on “Trade and Food Security” by INTA
- Workshop on "The implementation of the Common Security and Defence Policy" by SEDE
- Workshop on “Policy coherence for development” by DEVE
- Exchange of views on “Threat Assessment on Italian Organised Crime” by CRIM
- Workshop on “Product Safety and Market Surveillance” by IMCO