European Parliament committee meetings
17/06/2013 - 20/06/2013
European Parliament, Brussels
European Parliament's committees are primarily responsible for preparing the legislative work for Parliament's plenary, on the basis of which it adopts legislative resolutions.
Their core task is to draw up reports on legislative proposals that have been referred to Parliament, or on which Parliament has been consulted, and on own-initiative reports.
Parliament has 20 standing committees, and 2 subcommittees, each responsible for an area of community policy: foreign affairs, environment, development, international trade, budget etc, and working methods appropriate to its areas of expertise.
Special committees are sometimes created on an ad-hoc basis to address a specific topic.
Each committee elects a chairman and four vice-chairmen for consecutive periods of two and a half years in each parliamentary term. Each committee has its own secretariat.
Committees meet in public, once or twice a month, generally during the weeks that follow plenary sittings in Strasbourg. The meetings are broadcasted live (through EP Live).
KEY ITEMS OF THE COMMITTEES:
- Financial transaction tax and Structure of the EU banking sector (votes) in ECON
- Recreational craft and personal watercraft (vote) in IMCO
- European Anti-Fraud Office (OLAF) (vote) in CONT
- Hearings of candidates for European Ombudsman by PETI
- Situation of fundamental rights in Hungary(vote) and Prism surveillance programme in LIBE
- Emissions trading and greener fridges (votes) in ENVI
- Posting of workers (vote) in EMPL
- Internal energy market (vote) in ITRE
Full agenda: go to List of Committees (cf. below)
PUBLIC HEARINGS, JOINT MEETINGS, WORKSHOPS, INTER-PARLIAMENTARY MEETINGS:
- Joint Committee on Country-Specific Recommendations on economic policy by ECON and EMPL
- Public hearing on "Deep-Sea fishing: How to minimise the social and economic impacts of the new access regime" by PECH
- Joint Committee meeting on “Economic Dialogue and exchange of views on the Draft Country Specific Recommendations” with O REHN and L ANDOR by ECON and EMPL
- Exchange of views with S ERGIN, Minister of Justice of Turkey, and Š FÜLE, Commissioner for Enlargement and European Neighbourhood Policy, on the judicial reform process in Turkey by AFET
- Public hearing on “Foreign Policy Considerations in EU relations with ASEAN and Southeast Asia” by AFET
- Hearing on “High common level of network and information security across the Union” by IMCO
- Workshop on “The Euromed and the new DCFTAs in the region” by INTA
- Mini-hearings on “Clean Power for Transport” and “Flight Time Limitations' measures” by TRAN
- Joint Committee meeting on “Fight against fraud to the Union's financial interests by means of criminal law” by CONT and LIBE
- Workshops on “Carbon Capture and Storage Technology in Europe” and “The Food crisis, fraud in the food chain and the control thereof” by ENVI
- Hearing on “Practical experience in the fight against organised crime and political perspectives” by CRIM
- Public hearing on "EU Budget contribution to public investment in Europe" by BUDG
- Workshop on “Childhood Vaccination and Immunisation” by ENVI
- Joint Committee meeting on “Gender balance among non-executive directors of companies listed on stock exchanges” by JURI and FEMM
- Public hearing on "How to improve the efficiency of the CAP budget" by BUDG
- Inter parliamentary Committee meeting on “the Stockholm Programme: State of play regarding police and judicial cooperation in civil and criminal matters” by LIBE and National Parliaments
- Workshop on “Actions for Gender Balance in the EP - EP Elections 2014” by FEMM