European Parliament committee meetings
27/05/2013 - 30/05/2013
European Parliament, Brussels
European Parliament's committees are primarily responsible for preparing the legislative work for Parliament's plenary, on the basis of which it adopts legislative resolutions.
Their core task is to draw up reports on legislative proposals that have been referred to Parliament, or on which Parliament has been consulted, and on own-initiative reports.
Parliament has 20 standing committees, and 2 subcommittees, each responsible for an area of community policy: foreign affairs, environment, development, international trade, budget etc, and working methods appropriate to its areas of expertise.
Special committees are sometimes created on an ad-hoc basis to address a specific topic.
Each committee elects a chairman and four vice-chairmen for consecutive periods of two and a half years in each parliamentary term. Each committee has its own secretariat.
Committees meet in public, once or twice a month, generally during the weeks that follow plenary sittings in Strasbourg. The meetings are broadcasted live (through EP Live).
KEY ITEMS OF THE COMMITTEES:
- Banking reform (vote) in ECON
- Hearings of 2 members of the Court of Auditors in CONT
- Improving the organization of the elections to the EP in 2014 (vote) in AFCO
- European Capitals of Culture (2020 to 2033) in CULT
- Annual report of OLAF Supervisory Committee (vote) in CONT
- 2014 Draft budget in BUDG
- Clinical trials and Food intended for infants and young children (votes) in ENVI
- Road safety (vote) in TRAN
- European account preservation order (vote) in JURI
- Internal Energy Market (vote) in ITRE
Full agenda: go to List of Committees (cf. below)
PUBLIC HEARINGS, JOINT MEETINGS, WORKSHOPS, INTER-PARLIAMENTARY MEETINGS:
- Exchanges of views with A ZEIDAN, Prime Minister of Libya in AFET
- Hearing on “Impact of Organised Crime, Corruption and Money Laundering on the EU Internal market” by CRIM
- Public hearing on "European defence industry strategy" by SEDE
- Hearing on “Ways to develop the European Parliament's right of self-organization” by AFCO
- Public hearing on “The implementation of financial assistance from the EU budget in Greece” by CONT
- Public hearing on “The fight against tax evasion - FATCA as a first step towards international automatic exchange of information” by ECON
- Exchanges of views with I DAČIĆ, Prime Minister of Serbia in AFET
- Hearing on “Consumer product safety and Market surveillance of products” by IMCO
- Workshop on “The proposed Data Protection Regulation” by LIBE
- Joint Committee meeting on “Fight against fraud to the Union's financial interests by means of criminal law” by CONT and LIBE
- Public hearing on "Reindustrialising Southern Europe" by ITRE
- Public hearing on “Women with disabilities” by FEMM
- Public hearing on "Maritime Spatial Planning - An opportunity for sustainability in fisheries and aquaculture" by PECH
- Hearing on "How can the EU deliver better aid? Unlocking innovation and optimizing European resources: innovative methods and strategic alliances to leverage European added value" by BUDG and DEVE
- Public hearing on "Unleashing potential of cloud computing in Europe" by ITRE
- Workshop on “Patient safety” by ENVI