European Parliament committee meetings
22/04/2013 - 25/04/2013
European Parliament, Brussels
European Parliament's committees are primarily responsible for preparing the legislative work for Parliament's plenary, on the basis of which it adopts legislative resolutions.
Their core task is to draw up reports on legislative proposals that have been referred to Parliament, or on which Parliament has been consulted, and on own-initiative reports.
Parliament has 20 standing committees, and 2 subcommittees, each responsible for an area of community policy: foreign affairs, environment, development, international trade, budget etc, and working methods appropriate to its areas of expertise.
Special committees are sometimes created on an ad-hoc basis to address a specific topic.
Each committee elects a chairman and four vice-chairmen for consecutive periods of two and a half years in each parliamentary term. Each committee has its own secretariat.
Committees meet in public, once or twice a month, generally during the weeks that follow plenary sittings in Strasbourg. The meetings are broadcasted live (through EP Live).
KEY ITEMS OF THE COMMITTEES:
- Youth employment and EU Aid to the Most Deprived (votes) in EMPL
- Safety of air navigation (vote) in TRAN
- Recovery and resolution of credit institutions and investment firms and Fight against Tax fraud (votes) in ECON
- Air passenger data and Asylum-Eurodac (votes) in LIBE
- Car emissions (vote) in ENVI
- EU-US trade agreement (vote) in INTA
Full agenda: go to List of Committees (cf. below)
PUBLIC HEARINGS, JOINT MEETINGS, WORKSHOPS, INTER-PARLIAMENTARY MEETINGS:
- Public Hearing on "Smart Specialisation - lessons learnt, prospects for the future" by REGI
- Exchange of views with experts on "Promoting the European cultural and creative sectors as sources of economic growth and jobs" in CULT
- Public hearing "The Commission Action plan towards an Integrated Internal Control Framework" by CONT
- Joint committee meeting on "Gender balance among non-executive directors of companies listed on stock exchanges" by JURI and FEMM
- Hearing on "Tools to improve a culture of compliance in the European Fisheries – a EFCA contribution" by PECH
- Inter-parliamentary committee meeting on "Policy coherence for development and donor coordination: how the EP and National Parliaments can work together" by DEVE and National Parliaments
- Workshop on "Advantages of a gender-sensitive approach to tackle youth unemployment" by FEMM
- Hearing on "Money laundering and tax evasion in EU Member States and the consequences on the EU" and Public hearing on "Trafficking and Border Control" by CRIM
- Public hearing on "Reform of the Court of Justice of the EU" by JURI
- Workshop on "Newborn Infants" by ENVI
- Public hearing on "Gas and Coal: Friends or Enemies" by ITRE
- Hearing on "Indigenous people and the extractive industries" by DROI
- Public hearing on "The law protecting children in Europe and worldwide: provisions facilitating adoptions and resolving abductions" by JURI
- Hearing on "Women in ICT" by ITRE and FEMM
- Joint public hearing on "Human rights implications of the use of drones" by SEDE and DROI
- Workshop on “The Efficiency of the use of Financial Instruments” by BUDG