European Parliament committee meetings
18/02/2013 - 21/02/2013
European Parliament, Brussels
European Parliament's committees are primarily responsible for preparing the legislative work for Parliament's plenary, on the basis of which it adopts legislative resolutions.
Their core task is to draw up reports on legislative proposals that have been referred to Parliament, or on which Parliament has been consulted, and on own-initiative reports.
Parliament has 20 standing committees, and 2 subcommittees, each responsible for an area of community policy: foreign affairs, environment, development, international trade, budget etc, and working methods appropriate to its areas of expertise.
Special committees are sometimes created on an ad-hoc basis to address a specific topic.
Each committee elects a chairman and four vice-chairmen for consecutive periods of two and a half years in each parliamentary term. Each committee has its own secretariat.
Committees meet in public, once or twice a month, generally during the weeks that follow plenary sittings in Strasbourg. The meetings are broadcasted live (through EP Live).
KEY ITEMS OF THE COMMITTEES:
- Horsemeat in the EU food chain in ENVI
- Emissions trading (vote) in ENVI
- Progress report on Iceland (vote) in AFET
- Impact of the economic crisis on gender equality and women's rights and Situation of women in North Africa (votes) in FEMM
- Composition of the EP for 2014 (votes) in AFCO followed by a press conference
- Freezing criminal assets (vote) in LIBE followed by a press conference
- Implementation of the Audiovisual Media Services Directive in CULT
Full agenda: go to List of Committees (cf. below)
PUBLIC HEARINGS, JOINT MEETINGS, WORKSHOPS, INTER-PARLIAMENTARY MEETINGS:
- Monetary Dialogue with M DRAGHI, President of the ECB by ECON
- Public hearing with M DRAGHI, Chairman of the European Systemic Risk Board by ECON
- Humanitarian situation and challenges in Mali and Syria by DEVE
- Hearing on "DeepSea species: Toward a sustainable fishery" by PECH
- Hearing on "Making the most of EU citizenship" by JURI, LIBE and PETI followed by a press conference
- Conference on "Building bridges between cultures: a fresh path to conflict resolution?" by DROI followed by a press conference
- Public hearings on "Intelligence and cooperation" and on "Specific 3rd country issues" by CRIM
- Hearing on "The internal market for services: state of play and next steps" by IMCO
- Workshop on "Sustainable Biofuels: addressing indirect land use change (ILUC)" by ENVI and ITRE
- Workshop on "Advanced therapy medicinal products" by ENVI
- Joint debate on Cybersecurity and Cybercrime by LIBE
- Public hearings on "Cross-border collective bargaining and transnational social dialogue" and "The impact of the European Semester on social and employment policies" by EMPL
- Hearing on "Improving Access to Public Procurement Markets" by INTA
- Public hearing on "Human Rights in the Russian federation" by DROI
- Debate on "Towards a European Global Strategy" by SEDE and AFET followed by a press conference
- Workshop on "Better avoidance ofConflict of Interest - EU agencies and other bodies moving forward" by CONT
- Hearing on "Human rights in the African Union - Achievements and Challenges " by DROI
- Hearing on "International Humanitarian Law with special focus on Syria" by DROI and DEVE