Where: Palais des Beaux-Arts, Brussels, Belgium
Topic: Regions and local development
Organiser: European Commission
On 31 January the EU Commissioner for Regional Policy Johannes Hahn will present the 2013 RegioStars Awards to Europe's flagship forward- looking projects. The annual Awards - running for 6 consecutive years now, recognizes best practice in regional development and the best use being made of EU co-investment to boost innovation and create economic growth. The finalists chosen are original, pioneering projects, supported by EU Structural Funds.
In the current round of Awards, the European Commission received a record 149 applications. 27 were chosen as finalists and given the chance to present their projects in Brussels at OPEN DAYS – the European Week of Regions and Cities in October 2012. The independent Jury is set to announce the 2013 winners on 31st January. The awards will be presented by Commissioner Hahn.
The 2013 Award categories, reflecting the objectives of the Europe2020 Strategy are:
1. SMART GROWTH: Connecting universities to regional growth
2. SUSTAINABLE GROWTH: Supporting resource efficiency in SMEs
3. INCLUSIVE GROWTH: Social innovation: creative responses to societal challenges
4. CITYSTAR CATEGORY: Integrated approaches to sustainable urban development
5. INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION CATEGORY: Promoting EU Regional policy using short videos
Commissioner Hahn will be accompanied by the President of the RegioStars Jury, Luc van den Brande (former President of the Committee of the Regions) to present the awards at the Palais des Beaux-Arts, Brussels on 31 January at 19.00.
Before the award ceremony there is the opportunity to meet the winners and hear their stories at a briefing, hosted by Regional Policy Spokesperson, Shirin Wheeler at 18.00 at the same venue.