European Parliament committee meetings
17/09/2012 - 20/09/2012
European Parliament, Brussels
European Parliament's committees are primarily responsible for preparing the legislative work for Parliament's plenary, on the basis of which it adopts legislative resolutions.
Their core task is to draw up reports on legislative proposals that have been referred to Parliament, or on which Parliament has been consulted, and on own-initiative reports.
Parliament has 20 standing committees, and 2 subcommittees, each responsible for an area of community policy: foreign affairs, environment, development, international trade, budget etc, and working methods appropriate to its areas of expertise.
Special committees are sometimes created on an ad-hoc basis to address a specific topic.
Each committee elects a chairman and four vice-chairmen for consecutive periods of two and a half years in each parliamentary term. Each committee has its own secretariat.
Committees meet in public, once or twice a month, generally during the weeks that follow plenary sittings in Strasbourg. The meetings are broadcasted live (through EP Live).
KEY ITEMS OF THE COMMITTEES:
- Future of the economic and monetary union and financial supervisory authorities in ECON
- EU farm policy reform in AGRI
- Financing instrument for Development Policy (vote) in DEVE
- Protecting children on the Internet in CULT
- Offshore oil and gas safety (vote) in ENVI
- Asylum (votes) in LIBE
Full agenda : go to List of Committees (cf below)
PUBLIC HEARINGS, JOINT MEETINGS, WORKSHOPS, INTER-PARLIAMENTARY MEETINGS:
- Workshop on "Exploring options for the future Sugar regime" by AGRI
- Hearing on "Organised crime: cybercrime - involvement of organised crime in sports/Corruption: evaluation, detection and prevention of the problem" in CRIM
- Hearing on "How to improve the capacity of the future Hercule III programme (2014-2020) to promote activities in the field of the protection of the EU's financial interests?" by CONT
- Hearing on "Business and human rights: promoting society's interests and accountable, transparent and responsible business behaviour" by DROI
- Joint meeting on "Financial regulation" by CONT and BUDG
- Workshop on "Endocrine disruptors and impact on health" by ENVI
- Hearing on "Energy roadmap 2050, a future with energy" by ITRE
- Public hearing on "The support of the cohesion policy to SMEs" by REGI and ITRE
- Hearing on "How to make Overseas Countries and Territories relays for EU Development Policy" by DEVE
- Public hearing on "Posting of workers in the framework of the provision of services" by EMPL
- Joint committee meeting on "Connecting Europe Facility" by ITRE and TRAN
- Joint committee meeting on "Justice Programme for 2014-2020" by JURI and LIBE
- Public hearing on "Challenges of the EU-Kazakhstan partnership" by AFET
- Workshop on "EU-Eastern partners cooperation in energy security" by AFET
- Workshop on "Packaging of unhealthy products" by ENVI
- Workshop on "Towards a free trade agreement with Japan?" by INTA