European Parliament committee meetings
23/04/2012 - 26/04/2012
European Parliament, Brussels
European Parliament's committees are primarily responsible for preparing the legislative work for Parliament's plenary, on the basis of which it adopts legislative resolutions.
Their core task is to draw up reports on legislative proposals that have been referred to Parliament, or on which Parliament has been consulted, and on own-initiative reports.
Parliament has 20 standing committees, and 2 subcommittees, each responsible for an area of community policy: foreign affairs, environment, development, international trade, budget etc, and working methods appropriate to its areas of expertise.
Special committees are sometimes created on an ad-hoc basis to address a specific topic.
Each committee elects a chairman and four vice-chairmen for consecutive periods of two and a half years in each parliamentary term. Each committee has its own secretariat.
Committees meet in public, once or twice a month, generally during the weeks that follow plenary sittings in Strasbourg. The meetings are broadcasted live (through EP Live).
KEY ITEMS OF THE COMMITTEES:
- Trilogue (2nd part) on "Information exchange mechanism in the field of energy" in ITRE
- Roaming in ITRE
- Equal pay for equal work in FEMM
- Common system for taxing financial transactions in ECON
- Borders control in LIBE
- ACTA in INTA
- Breast implants in ENVI
- Resource-efficient Europe in ENVI
- Implementation of the ECI in AFCO
- Internal Market Scoreboard in IMCO
Full agenda : go to List of Committees (cf below)
PUBLIC HEARINGS, JOINT MEETINGS,WORKSHOPS, CONFERENCES:
- Hearing on "Connecting Europe: Forms of financing, priorities, synergies between the sectors" by ITRE and TRAN
- Hearing on "CEF" by ITRE
- Hearing on "Budgetary control of the European Financial Stability Facility (EFSF), the European Financial Stabilisation Mechanism (EFSM) and the European Stability Mechanism(ESM)" by CONT
- Hearing on "The feasibility of transferable fishing concessions in the context of the CFP reform" by PECH
- Conference on "Regional actors as vectors of peace by AFET
- Public hearing on "Justice in the Arab Spring Countries" by DROI
- Workshop on "The Efficiency of the use of Financial Instruments" by BUDG
- Workshop on "Smart Regulation and EU Administrative Law - Making the Union more accessible to citizens" by JURI
- Workshop on "EU competition framework and the food chain in the new CAP" by AGRI
- Workshop on "The effectiveness of the Competitiveness and Innovation Programme (CIP)" by ITRE
- Public hearing on "Growth & Mobility: Modernising the professional qualifications Directive" by IMCO
- Workshop on "Smart Regulation and EU Administrative Law - Making the Union more accessible to citizens" by AFCO
- Hearing on "Review of the Accounting and Transparency Directives: the new country by country reporting requirements" by JURI
- Public Hearing on "Defining the future EU culture and media programmes" by CULT