We are migrating the content of this website during the first semester of 2014 into the new EUR-Lex web-portal. We apologise if some content is out of date before the migration. We will publish all updates and corrections in the new version of the portal.
Do you have any questions? Contact us.
Due to its safety and respect for the environment, the European rail network has many advantages. Designed for national purposes, rail networks must adapt to the reality of the single market. Trains and their passengers must be able to cross borders freely within an integrated area. In order to do this, the European Union is improving the interoperability of networks by stimulating investment in infrastructures. The Union is also implementing policy to harmonise passengers’ rights and working conditions, within the context of the internal market.
BODIES AND OBJECTIVES
- Development of a single European railway area
- Further integration of the European rail system: third railway package
- White Paper: A strategy for revitalising the Community's railways
- European railway agency
- Intergovernmental Organisation for International Carriage by Rail (OTIF)
- Accession to the Intergovernmental Organisation for International Carriage by Rail (OTIF)Archives
INFRASTRUCTURE AND INTEROPERABILITY
- Rail infrastructure: multi-annual contracts
- Allocation of railway infrastructure capacity and charging for the use of infrastructure
- Interoperability of the rail system within the EU
- Interoperability of the conventional rail systemArchives
- Interoperability of the trans-European high-speed rail systemArchives
- Interoperability of the trans-European rail system
- Deployment of the rail signalling system ERTMS/ETCS
- For a European standard for the approval of locomotives
INTERNAL MARKET, FREIGHT AND PASSENGER RIGHTS
- Freight transport logistics action plan
- A European rail network for competitive freight
- Development of the Community's railways
- Rail transport statistics
- Quality of rail freight
- Compensation in cases of non-compliance with contractual quality requirements for rail freight services
- New rights for rail passengers
- State aid for railway undertakings
- Licensing of railway undertakingsArchives
- EMPLOYMENT AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- RAIL SAFETY
- For further information, consult the rail transport and interoperability pages of the Directorate-General of Energy and Transport.