We are migrating the content of this website during the first semester of 2014 into the new EUR-Lex web-portal. We apologise if some content is out of date before the migration. We will publish all updates and corrections in the new version of the portal.
Do you have any questions? Contact us.
Centre for Information, Discussion and Exchange on the Crossing of Frontiers and Immigration (Cirefi)
To assist the Member States in effectively studying legal immigration, in preventing illegal immigration and facilitator networks, in better detecting forged documents and in improving expulsion practice.
2) UNION MEASURES
Council Conclusions of 30 November 1994 on the organisation and development of the Centre for Information, Discussion and Exchange on the Crossing of Frontiers and Immigration (Cirefi).
Resolution of 27 May 1999, on the creation of an early warning system for the transmission of information on illegal immigration and facilitator networks.
Cirefi was set up by a decision of the Ministers responsible for immigration on 30 November and 1 December 1992. In 1994, it was decided to expand its activities to include the collection of information on:
- legal immigration
- illegal immigration and unlawful residence
- the entry of aliens through facilitator networks
- the use of false or falsified documents
- measures taken by competent authorities, in the form of statistics, in order to draw up regular situation reports.
Cirefi also analyses the information compiled, draws conclusions and, when appropriate, gives advice and encourages the exchange of information relating to escort to borders (country of destination, carriers, rates, conditions of carriage, problems of obtaining return documents...)
Cirefi consists of experts from the Member States and meets every month with logistical back-up from the General Secretariat of the Council. In an emergency, the central departments of the Member States in question exchange information directly.
Cirefi submits an annual report on its activities to the Council, as well as other reports on request.
Early warning system on illegal immigration and facilitator networks
Since May 1999, an early warning system for the transmission of information on illegal immigration and facilitator networks has been operating under Cirefi. The following information is transmitted immediately:
- first indications of illegal immigration and facilitator networks, particularly in the countries in which migration originates;
- new developments in this area which require immediate counter-measures (changes in itineraries or modes of transport, new types of large-scale travel document forgery, huge increases in illegal immigration, infiltration of large groups by facilitator networks...).
Applicant countries may also participate in this early warning system simply by making a declaration to the General Secretariat of the Council.
4) DEADLINE FOR IMPLEMENTATION OF THE LEGISLATION IN THE MEMBER STATES
5) DATE OF ENTRY INTO FORCE (if different from the above)
1 January 1995
Official Journal C 274, 19.09.1996