Do you have any questions? Contact us.
Authorised colouring matters
To harmonize the laws concerning colouring matters in order to promote the free movement of foodstuffs within the Community while ensuring health protection.
2) COMMUNITY MEASURES
Council Directive 62/2645/EEC of 23 October 1962 on the approximation of the rules of the Member States concerning the colouring matters authorized for use in foodstuffs intended for human consumption.
Amended by the following measures:
Council Directive 65/469/EEC of 25 October 1965;
Council Directive 67/653/EEC of 24 October 1967;
Council Directive 68/419/EEC of 20 December 1968;
Council Directive 70/358/EEC of 13 July 1970;
Council Directive 76/399/EEC of 6 April 1976;
Council Directive 78/144/EEC of 30 January 1978;
Council Directive 81/20/EEC of 20 January 1981;
Council Directive 85/7/EEC of 19 December 1984.
The following text contains a consolidation of existing Directives concerning colouring matters.
These Directives lay down lists of colouring matters which may be used to treat foodstuffs, together with their conditions of use. They also apply to colouring matters imported into the Community. They do not concern colouring matters intended to be exported from the Community.
Procedures to be followed where a Member State establishes that, although it complies with the Directives, one of the colouring matters constitutes a danger to human health.
Breakdown of the general and specific purity criteria to be met by the authorized colouring matters.
Labelling requirements. At issue here are, for example, the name and address of the responsible manufacturer or vendor, the number of the colouring matter and the statement "Colouring matter for foodstuffs".
4) DEADLINE FOR IMPLEMENTATION OF THE LEGISLATION IN THE MEMBER STATES
- Directive 62/2645/EEC: 26.10.1963
- Directive 65/469/EEC: 31.12.1966
- Directive 67/653/EEC: 01.01.1968
- Directive 68/419/EEC: not communicated
- Directive 70/358/EEC: not communicated
- Directive 76/399/EEC: not communicated
- Directive 78/144/EEC: 01.02.1979
- Directive 81/20/EEC: 01.07.1981
- Directive 85/7/EEC: not communicated
5) DATE OF ENTRY INTO FORCE (if different from the above)
- Directive 62/2645/EEC: 26.10.1964
- Directive 68/419/EEC: 21.12.1968
- Directive 70/358/EEC: 16.07.1970
- Directive 76/399/EEC: 09.04.1976
- Directive 85/7/EEC: 27.12.1984
Official Journal 115, 11.11.1962
Official Journal 178, 26.10.1965
Official Journal 263, 30.10.1967
Official Journal L 309, 24.12.1968
Official Journal L 157, 18.07.1970
Official Journal L 108, 26.04.1976
Official Journal L 44, 15.02.1978
Official Journal L 43, 14.02.1981
Official Journal L 2, 03.01.1985