Do you have any questions? Contact us.
Two- or three-wheeled motor vehicles: rear registration-plate mount
To lay down technical requirements applying to the rear registration-plate mount for two- or three-wheeled motor vehicles.
Council Directive 93/94/EEC of 29 October 1993 on the rear registration-plate mount for two- or three-wheeled motor vehicles [Official Journal L311 of 14.12.1993].
Amended by the following:
Commission Directive 1999/26/EC of 20 April 1999.[Official Journal L 118 of 06.05.1999].
This proposal comes under the type- approval procedure for two- or three-wheeled motor vehicles, initially put in place by Directive 92/61/EEC which was repealed and replaced by Directive 2002/24/EC.
The vehicles covered by the Directive are as follows:
- mopeds: two- or three-wheeled vehicles powered by an engine having a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cm3 and having a maximum design speed not exceeding 45 km/h;
- motorcycles: two-wheeled vehicles with or without sidecar powered by an engine having a cylinder capacity of more than 50 cm3 and/or having a maximum design speed of more than 45 km/h;
- tricycles: vehicles with three symmetrical wheels and an engine having a cylinder capacity of more than 50 cm3 and/or a maximum design speed of more than 45 km/h;
- quadricycles: four-wheeled vehicles powered by an engine with a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cm3, a maximum design speed of 45 km/h and an unladen mass not exceeding 350 kg are considered to be mopeds, while other quadricycles are classified as tricycles.
Laying-down of the dimensions of the registration-plate location:
- mopeds: 90 mm wide and 165 mm high;
- motorcycles and tricycles: 205 mm wide and 165 mm high.
Requirements concerning the angle of inclination and height of the plate mount, and the optimum visibility conditions applying to the plate to be attached.
Procedure for the adaptation of the requirements to technical progress.
Procedure for granting component type-approval:
- the application for component type-approval is lodged with the competent authority within a Member State by the manufacturer or assembler;
- the competent authority component type-approves the rear registration-plate mount if this meets the technical requirements of this proposal and coincides with the data provided by the manufacturer;
- to that end that same authority fills out the component type- approval certificate annexed to the Directive.
The requirements relating to the rear registration-plate mount form part of a body of 47 characteristics provided for by Council framework Directive 92/61/EEC, all of which must be produced at one and the same time by manufacturers if two- or three-wheeled motor vehicles are to be able to be type-approved and placed on the Community market.
Directive 1999/26/EC adapts the provisions relating to the load conditions of vehicles when measuring the inclination, and those relating to the dimensions of spaces for mounting the rear registration plate of quadricycles fitted with a body. It also aligns Figure 1 in the Annex to Directive 93/94/EC (angle of geometric visibility) on the actual position of vehicles during tests and specifies in more detail certain references in the information documents.
|Act||Date of entry into force||Deadline for implementation in the Member States|