Do you have any questions? Contact us.
FIFG: Financial Instrument for Fisheries Guidance
The Regulation on the Financial Instrument for Fisheries Guidance (FIFG) sets out the policy priorities and the terms of assistance for the fisheries and aquaculture sector for the period 2000-06. The FIFG is designed to help achieve the aims of the common fisheries policy by providing structural assistance. It thus strengthens the competitiveness of the operating structures and the development of economically viable enterprises.
Council Regulation (EC) No 1263/1999 of 21 June 1999 on the Financial Instrument for Fisheries Guidance
The aim of the FIFG is to contribute to achieving the objectives of the common fisheries policy. It supports structural measures in fisheries, aquaculture and the processing and marketing of fishery and aquaculture products. In this way it promotes the restructuring of the sector by putting in place the right conditions for its development and modernisation.
The aims of the FIFG's structural measures are to:
- contribute to achieving a balance between fisheries resources and their exploitation,
- strengthen the competitiveness of operating structures and the development of economically viable enterprises in the sector;
- improve market supply and the value added to fishery and aquaculture products;
- contribute to revitalising areas dependent on fisheries and aquaculture.
This Regulation grants FIFG support to the following in line with the FIFG's overall objectives:
- fleet renewal and modernisation of fishing vessels;
- adjustment of fishing effort;
- joint enterprises;
- small-scale coastal fisheries;
- socio-economic measures;
- protection of marine resources in coastal waters;
- fishing port facilities;
- processing and marketing of fishery and aquaculture products;
- seeking new outlets for such products;
- operations by members of the trade;
- innovative actions, in particular those of a transnational nature and involving the networking of operators and areas dependent on the sector.
- technical assistance.
This Regulation firmly links the FIFG both to the structural policy established by Council Regulation (EC) No 1260/1999 laying down general provisions on the Structural Funds and to the common fisheries policy provided for in Council Regulation (EEC) No 3760/92.
The structural measures financed by the FIFG fall under different multiannual programmes according to the regional context in which they apply:
- where regions are eligible for Structural Funds under Objective 1, the measures are included in the programming for that Objective;
- where regions are not eligible for Objective 1, the measures are covered by single programming documents in each Member State.
|Act||Entry into force||Deadline for transposition in the Member States||Official Journal|
|Regulation (EC) No 1263/1999||29.06.1999||-||OJ L 161 of 26.06.1999|