We are migrating the content of this website during the first semester of 2014 into the new EUR-Lex web-portal. We apologise if some content is out of date before the migration. We will publish all updates and corrections in the new version of the portal.
Do you have any questions? Contact us.
Police and customs cooperation
The protection of citizens requires better mutual assistance and exchanges of information between the law enforcement agencies of Member States. In particular, it is imperative that cooperation between national police as well as customs authorities be stepped-up to effectively fight crime at both local and European levels.
Mutual assistance between police services is based on bodies such as Europol and the European Police College (Cepol). Customs cooperation is based on the Naples II Convention.
In addition, various instruments have been put in place to achieve police and customs cooperation targets. These include the specific programme “Prevention of and fight against crime”, the Customs 2013 programme and the modernised customs code.
- Standing Committee on operational cooperation on internal security
- Cooperation between special intervention units
- Stepping up cross-border cooperation (Prüm Decision)
- Cooperation in criminal matters: protection of personal data
- Simplifying the exchange of information between law enforcement authorities
- Joint investigation teams
- Sharing of information on terrorist kidnappings
- A global approach to PNR data transfers
- Information management in the area of freedom, security and justice
- The external dimension of the area of freedom, security and justice
- Exchange of information between the law enforcement authorities of the Member States
- Enhancing police and customs cooperation in the European Union
- Improved effectiveness, enhanced interoperability and synergies between European databasesArchives
- Action programmes
- European Police Office – Europol (from 1.1.2010)
- Access to the Visa Information System (VIS) by the national authorities and Europol
- Protecting the euro against counterfeiting: the role of Europol
- The European Police College (CEPOL)
- Secretariat for the joint supervisory data-protection bodies
- Democratic control over EuropolArchives
- Transmission of personal data by EuropolArchives
- Europol: European Police Office (until 31.12.2009)Archives
- Maintaining public order and safety
- Customs 2013 (2008-2013)
- Action programme: Customs 2007 (2003-2007)Archives
- Money laundering: prevention through customs cooperation
- International convention on the simplification and harmonisation of customs procedures
- Convention on mutual assistance and cooperation between customs administrations (Naples II)
- Strategy for the evolution of the Customs Union
- The role of customs in the integrated management of external borders
- Strategy for the Customs Union