We are migrating the content of this website during the first semester of 2014 into the new EUR-Lex web-portal. We apologise if some content is out of date before the migration. We will publish all updates and corrections in the new version of the portal.
Do you have any questions? Contact us.
Pharmaceutical and cosmetic products
The European pharmaceutical industry has an important role to play in ensuring that the people of Europe enjoy a good standard of health. The European Union strives, therefore, to guarantee broad access to medicinal products, to provide the public with high quality information, and to ensure that the medicinal products manufactured are safe and effective. The single market for pharmaceutical products makes it possible to achieve these aims by increasing the competitiveness of the industry through promoting research and innovation for the benefit of the public.
The European cosmetic industry is an important employer. 150 000 people work in the industry itself, and the sale, distribution and transport of cosmetics indirectly creates a further 350 000 jobs. With a production value of more than €35 billion, this innovative industry is a world leader in the field. The European Union aims to ensure free movement of cosmetic products in the internal market and to guarantee that the products are safe.
- Single Market and the pharmaceutical industry
Common provisions for medicines for human and veterinary use
- Authorisation and supervision of medicinal products - European Medicines Agency
- Good laboratory practice: tests on chemical substances
- Good laboratory practice: inspection and verification of laboratory studies on all chemicals
- Colouring matters for medicinal products (recast)
- Supplementary protection certificate for medicinal products
- Protection of laboratory animals
- European Pharmacopoeia
Medicinal products for human consumption
- Community code relating to medicinal products for human use
- Good manufacturing practice in respect of medicinal products for human use and investigational medicinal products for human use
- Advanced therapy medicinal products
- Medicinal products for paediatric use
- Price of medicinal products for human use: pricing and health insurance
- Good clinical practice
- Orphan medicinal products
- Pharmaceutical Committee
- Medicinal products for veterinary use
- Cosmetic products
- Patents and invention protection
- Multilateral trade
- For futher information: Directorate-General for Health and Consumers