Do you have any questions? Contact us.
Motor vehicles with trailers: behaviour of steering device under impact (until 2014)
To harmonise the laws of the Member States in respect of the interior fittings of motor vehicles as regards behaviour of steering device under impact.
Council Directive 74/297/EEC of 4 June 1974 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to the interior fittings of motor vehicles (behaviour of steering device under impact) [Official Journal L 165 of 20.06.1974].
Amended by the following act:
Council Directive 91/662/EEC of 6 December 1991 [Official Journal L 366 of 31.12.1991].
These Directives apply to the behaviour of the steering device fitted to category M1 motor vehicles and category N1 vehicles the maximum permissible weight of which is less than 1 500 kg in respect of driver protection in the event of a head-on collision.
Component type-approval procedure for each type of vehicle and steering control:
- application for EC approval:
- lodged by the manufacturer or his authorized representative with the authorities respnsible for approval within a Member State;
- accompanied by the information requested in line with annex I to the present Directive;
- approval procedure:
- provision is made for three types of test which concern either the type of vehicle or the type of steering control: these are the impact test against a barrier, the impact test against a test block and the headform test;
- where the type of vehicle or steering control meets the requirements of the tests an EC approval certificate and its annex are issued by the Member State authority that is responsible for approval.
Implementation of the Directive:
- 1 October 1992: manufacturers voluntarily meeting the safety standards may obtain EC approval;
- 1 October 1995: mandatory application of the safety standards for:
- component type-approval of the steering device fitted to forward-control category M1 vehicles and to all motor vehicles the maximum permissible weight of which does not exceed 1 500 kg;
- the placing on the market of steering controls intended to be fitted to one or several types of vehicle;
- 1 October 1996, mandatory application of safety standards concerning:
- the steering device for normal-control category M1 motor vehicles;
- the steering control for all types of vehicle.
These provisions shall only apply from 1 October 1997 to:
- category M1 vehicles;
- category N1 vehicles the maximum permissible weight of which does not exceed 1 500 kg.
Procedure for the adaptation of the Directive to technical progress.
of entry into force
|Final date for implementation in the Member States|