Technical implications of road safety
The technical implications of road safety cover both vehicle and infrastructure safety. By 2020, the European Commission aims to halve the number of deaths on the roads (in relation to the 2010 figures) in the European Union (EU).
To achieve this objective, the Commission promotes the use of modern technologies to improve road safety. It defines a legislative framework which aims to make vehicles and road infrastructure safer. The protection of vulnerable passengers is also a policy priority.
- GENERAL PROVISIONS
- Restraint devices for passengers
Vehicle protection in the event of impact
- Motor vehicles with trailers: front underrun protection devices (until 2014)
- Motor vehicles with trailers: protection of occupants in the event of a frontal impact (until 2014)
- Motor vehicles with trailers: behaviour of steering device under impact (until 2014)
- Motor vehicles with trailers: lateral protection for goods vehicles (until 2014)
- Reduction of blind spots
- Protection of vulnerable road users
- Control devices
- Intelligent automobile security systems
- Further information: Road Safety