We are migrating the content of this website during the first semester of 2014 into the new EUR-Lex web-portal. We apologise if some content is out of date before the migration. We will publish all updates and corrections in the new version of the portal.
Do you have any questions? Contact us.
Windscreen wiper and washer systems of motor vehicles
This Regulation lays down rules concerning windscreen wiper and washer systems of motor vehicles. The aim is to adapt current requirements to developments in scientific and technical knowledge.
Commission Regulation (EU) No 1008/2010 of 9 November 2010 concerning type-approval requirements for windscreen wiper and washer systems of certain motor vehicles and implementing Regulation (EC) No 661/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council concerning type-approval requirements for the general safety of motor vehicles, their trailers and systems, components and separate technical units intended therefor (Text with EEA relevance).
This Regulation establishes type-approval requirements for windscreen wiper * and washer * systems of motor vehicles. It forms part of the implementation of the Regulation on the general safety of motor vehicles.
Type of vehicle concerned
This Regulation applies to vehicles of category M1, i.e. vehicles designed and built for passenger transport with, in addition to the driver’s seat, a seating capacity not exceeding eight passengers.
Requirements concerning windscreen wipers and washer systems
Manufacturers must equip motor vehicles with:
- windscreen wipers consisting of wiper arms. The windscreen wiper system shall have at least two sweep frequency settings. The windscreen wiper field shall cover at least 98 % or 80 % of the vision area;
- washer system to spray fluid onto the target area of the windscreen without any leakage, disconnection of any tubing or malfunctioning of any nozzle. This system shall deliver sufficient fluid to clear at least 60 % of the vision area.
The Regulation also establishes test procedures to check compliance of devices.
Provisions for EC type-approval
The vehicle manufacturer must submit an application for EC type-approval to the competent authority. The manufacturer has two options:
- to submit an application for EC type-approval for each type of vehicle concerning its windscreen wiper and washer systems; or
- to submit an application for EC type-approval, as a technical unit, for a type of windscreen washer system.
The EC application must contain the following information, namely:
- the make and type of vehicle;
- a detailed technical description of the wiper and washer system;
- a description of the method of operation of the wiper and washer systems.
If the competent authority considers that the vehicle satisfies all of the requirements concerning windscreen wiper and washer systems it shall grant EC type-approval and issue a type-approval number pursuant to Directive 2007/46/EC.
|Key terms of the Act|
|Act||Entry into force||Deadline for transposition in the Member States||Official Journal|
|Regulation (EU) No 1008/2010||
OJ L 292 of 10.11.2010