Rear registration plates on motor vehicles
This Regulation lays down provisions for the space for mounting and the fixing of rear registration plates on motor vehicles and their trailers. The aim is to adapt current requirements to developments in scientific and technical knowledge.
Commission Regulation (EU) No 1003/2010 of 8 November 2010 concerning type-approval requirements for the space for mounting and the fixing of rear registration plates on motor vehicles and their trailers and implementing Regulation (EC) No 661/2009 of the European Parliament and the Council concerning type-approval requirements for the general safety of motor vehicles, their trailers and systems, components and separate technical units intended therefor (Text with EEA relevance).
This Regulation lays down rules for the type-approval of motor vehicles and their trailers concerning the space for mounting and the fixing of rear registration plates. It forms part of the implementation of the Regulation on the general safety of motor vehicles.
Requirements for the space for mounting and the fixing of rear registration plates
The space for a rear registration plate shall include a flat or virtually flat rectangular surface the dimensions of which must be either:
- a width of 520 millimetres and a height of 120 millimetres; or
- a width of 340 millimetres and a height of 240 millimetres.
The fixing of a rear registration plate must meet certain requirements:
- the plate must be perpendicular to the longitudinal plane of the vehicle;
- the height of the lower edge of the plate from the ground surface must not be less than 0.30 m;
- the plate must be visible in the whole space.
The Regulation also establishes test procedures to check compliance of devices.
Provisions for EC type-approval
The vehicle manufacturer must submit an application for EC type-approval to the competent authority. This application must contain certain information, namely:
- the make and type of the vehicle;
- the range of dimensions for the space for mounting rear registration plates;
- the height of the edges from the road surface.
If the competent authority considers that the vehicle satisfies all of the requirements concerning the space for mounting and the fixing of the rear registration plate, it shall grant EC type-approval and issue a type-approval number pursuant to Directive 2007/46/EC.
|Act||Entry into force||Deadline for transposition in the Member States||Official Journal|
|Regulation (EU) No 1003/2010||
OJ L 291 of 9.11.2010