Do you have any questions? Contact us.
Driver-perceived noise level of wheeled agricultural or forestry tractors
Noise emissions produced by tractors must be limited so as not to damage the health and safety of tractor drivers. This Directive establishes rules relating to noise levels.
Directive 2009/76/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 13 July 2009 relating to the driver-perceived noise level of wheeled agricultural or forestry tractors (Codified version) (Text with EEA relevance).
This Directive establishes technical prescriptions concerning the design and construction of agricultural and forestry tractors, as regards driver-perceived noise levels.
Types of vehicle covered by the Directive
This Directive applies to agricultural or forestry tractors which are equipped with pneumatic tyres and have a maximum design speed of between 6 and 40 km/h.
These vehicles have the following characteristics:
- they are fitted with wheels or endless tracks;
- they have at least two axles;
- they may be equipped to carry a load and passengers.
Tractors are essentially used to tow, push, carry or power certain tools, machinery or trailers intended for agricultural or forestry use.
Acceptable noise levels and method of measurement
The driver-perceived noise level must not exceed 90 (Annex I) or 86 decibels (Annex II).
Measurements of noise levels shall be taken under specific conditions, including the following:
- the tractor must be empty;
- the tyres must be inflated to the air pressure recommended by the tractor manufacturer;
- extra equipment may not be in operation when measurements are being taken;
- the driver-perceived ambient noise level due to the wind or other sources of noise must be at least 10 decibels below the noise level of the tractor;
- the microphone must be located 250 mm to the side of the centre plane of the seat.
EC type-approval procedure
Member States may refuse to grant EC type-approval or national type-approval to vehicles which do not comply with the prescriptions of this Directive.
This Directive repeals Directive 77/311/EC.
|Act||Entry into force||Deadline for transposition in the Member States||Official Journal|
OJ L 201 of 1.8.2009
This summary is for information only. It is not designed to interpret or replace the reference document, which remains the only binding legal text.