Do you have any questions? Contact us.
Lighting and light-signalling on agricultural and forestry tractors and machines
This Directive lays down technical rules on lighting and light-signalling on agricultural and forestry tractors and machines, within the framework of the Directive on EC type-approval procedures for this type of vehicle.
Directive 2009/61/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 13 July 2009 relating to the installation of lighting and light-signalling devices on wheeled agricultural and forestry tractors (Codified version) (Text with EEA relevance).
This Directive establishes technical prescriptions for the installation of lighting and light-signalling devices on agricultural or forestry tractors.
Types of vehicle covered by the Directive
This Directive applies to agricultural or forestry tractors which are equipped with pneumatic tyres and have a maximum design speed of between 6 and 40 km/h.
These vehicles have the following characteristics:
- they are fitted with wheels or endless tracks;
- they have at least two axles;
- they may be equipped to carry a load and passengers.
Tractors are primarily used to tow, push, carry or power certain tools, machinery or trailers intended for agricultural or forestry use.
Lighting and light-signalling devices
Tractors must be equipped with electrical connectors to enable a detachable light-signalling system to be used.
Illuminating lamps must be correctly aligned when fitted. The reference axis of the lamp when fitted to the tractor must be parallel with the bearing plane of the tractor on the road and with the longitudinal plane of the tractor.
Illuminating lamps must:
- be fitted to the tractor symmetrically in relation to the median longitudinal plane;
- be symmetrical to one another in relation to the median longitudinal plane;
- have the same colour;
- have substantially identical photometric characteristics.
The concealment of lamps shall be prohibited.
EC type-approval procedure
The tractor manufacturer or their representative must submit an application for EC type-approval with regard to the installation of lighting and light-signalling devices. The application shall include:
- the description of the tractor type;
- the list of devices required for the lighting and light-signalling assembly;
- the layout drawing of the lighting and light-signalling equipment as a whole, showing the position of the various lamps of the tractor;
- the layout drawing(s) for each individual lamp showing the illuminating surfaces.
The technical service shall be responsible for ensuring that EC-type approval tests are carried out.
Member States may refuse the registration, sale or entry into service of new vehicles if they do not comply with the EC procedures.
This Directive repeals Directive 78/933/EEC.
|Act||Entry into force||Deadline for transposition in the Member States||Official Journal|
OJ L 203 of 5.8.2009
This summary is for information only. It is not designed to interpret or replace the reference document, which remains the only binding legal text.