We are migrating the content of this website during the first semester of 2014 into the new EUR-Lex web-portal. We apologise if some content is out of date before the migration. We will publish all updates and corrections in the new version of the portal.
Do you have any questions? Contact us.
A uniform system of protection of intellectual property rights, ranging from industrial property to copyright and related rights, constitutes the foundation for creativeness and innovation within the European Union. Respect of the basic principles of the internal market (the free movement of goods and services and free competition) is based on standardisation of intellectual property at European level. Protection of intellectual property is covered by many international conventions, most of which are implemented by the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) and the World Trade Organisation (WTO). The European Union possesses two important bodies to carry out its mission: the Office for Harmonisation in the Internal Market (OHIM), which is responsible for the registration of Community trade marks and designs, and the European Patent Office (EPO). The Commission is currently campaigning for the effective introduction of a Community patent system, which would be less costly and more legally effective, as a guarantee of competitiveness for European industry. Finally, the protection of these rights also entails protecting them against piracy, illegal trade and counterfeiting.
COPYRIGHT AND RELATED RIGHTS
- Copyright in the Knowledge Economy
- Management of copyright and related rights in the internal market
- Copyright and related rights: term of protection
- Resale right for the benefit of the author of an original work of art
- Rental right and lending right
- Orphan works
- Copyright and related rights: satellite broadcasting and cable retransmission
- Legal protection: databases
- Legal protection of services based on, or consisting of, conditional access
- Legal protection: computer programs
- Green Paper on Copyright in the Knowledge EconomyArchives
PROTECTION OF INVENTIONS
- Communit patent
- TRADE MARK
- COMMUNITY DESIGN OR MODEL
COUNTERFEIT GOODS AND PIRACY
- Intellectual property rights: enhancing their enforcement
- European anti-counterfeiting and anti-piracy plan
- Industrial property rights strategy
- Enforcement of intellectual property rights
- Combating counterfeiting and piracy in the single market
- Customs response to latest trends in counterfeiting and piracy
- Goods infringing intellectual property rights
- DIFFERENT PROVISIONS
- INTERNATIONAL TREATIES
- Further information can be found on the web site of the Internal Market and Services Directorate-General of the European Commission.